Friday, June 19, 2009

Beautiful Flowers Planted by Girl VS. Tonka Truck Driven by Boy

I'm a plant killer. I've known it for years. It's a good thing I'm married to the "Greenskeeper", because he is able to keep our grass green and the garden growing. Our yard looks good only because of him! In May, I was given some Petunias for Mother's Day as well as Bagonias and Pansies from the elementary school staff for my PTO service. I wanted to put them all to good use, rather than having them wilt by my kitchen sink (which is how most of my previous flowers have died). So for the first time ever, I planted a little flower garden. I chose a spot between the back porch and an existing Peony plant. I outlined the garden's perimeter, pulled up the grass that was there (with Josh's help), dug all the rocks out, smoothed out the dirt patch, and got to work planting the flowers in a perfect formation. I spent 2 hours doing it all, and it's not a very big spot!!! I was so proud of my work, and immediately took a photo.Right after that, I came inside to make dinner. It is the bewitching hour every day for me. Between food prep, cooking, clearing the table off, setting out the dishes and utensils, and getting everyone to sit at the table, I can be a little stressed and grouchy and I usually start yelling if anyone is a hindrance rather than a help. That particular day, right when we sat down at the table, Jonah informed me that Kanyon had been playing in my new flower patch with his dump truck.
My reply was, "Really? Did you tell him to get out?"
"We tried, but he wouldn't. He killed your flowers."
Deep breath. Goosfraba. Relax.
"Okay, thanks for telling me. I'll have to check it out after dinner."
And I did. And he had. He killed 3 of the flowers. We re-planted the uprooted ones, and the rest are still alive (for now).
The moral of the story: I'm a plant killer. Even if my plants don't die next to the sink inside, external forces will kill them outside!

5 comments:

My Weightloss Journey said...

Oh the Joys of having children :) I remeber my mother saying I never grow attached to anyhting because if I do that will be the one thing that falls to the ground and breaks. And now being on the other side I see what she was talking about. I too am a plant killer.. Trying a garden for the first time and the dogs have dug it up a dozen times already so I feel your pain! I hope they grow back beautifuly and thrive well!!! Miss ya

Melissa said...

I feel your pain. I seem to have a black thumb as well. I always tell everyone I inherited it from my mom. ;)

I'm still shocked and amazed that our garden is still growing. We have successfully killed it every time we have tried growing one before.

Sunshine Designed said...

What a perfect spot! Looks great.

Tiffany said...

Oh your poor flowers I am sorry, but I guess boys will be boys...so looks like you guys had so much fun at the zoo in Idaho Falls, we better get over and check that out! And thanks for letting me know that I can't spell LOL, I am glad that you caught it!!! Thanks!

Zayne said...

Love your simple and beautiful garden!! Flowers are so nice!!