Saturday, May 2, 2009

A dream, A career, A haircut

When I was young, I wanted to be 2 things when I grew up: a teacher and a beautician. My original plan was to be a hairstylist first so that I could put myself through college to become a teacher. As it turned out, I received a few scholarships at S.U.U., so I went straight to college first to major in theater and education. But I quit after a year to get married. So none of my career dreams ever came true.
But I decided one day that I could still be those things, just not in the paid form. I could be a teacher and a beautician for my family. Essentially, as a mother, I'm a teacher every day. My curriculum is always changing: from toilet training to scripture explaining! And as for the beautician part, I cut all four of my sons' hair every couple of months. But I wanted to take it a step further, I wanted to conquer an adult's head of hair. I finally convinced Josh to let me cut his.
Every fall, he grows out his hair and every spring he gets a funky hairstyle before getting it cut. In our marriage, I've permed it and dyed it multiple times. But I've never cut it. This year's funky hairstyle was braided dreads. One evening in February, I spent about 4 hours braiding it. That night, he slept on it very uncomfortably and woke up complaining the next morning. (I did not have sympathy for him--when I was a child, every Saturday night I slept with pink rollers in my hair. Enough said.) So I took out the braids, and he adorned the crimped afro hairdo that day.
Then I got to cut it for him! The clippers died halfway through, so I even used scissors, just like a real hairdresser!!! It took me an hour and a half to do it, because I was trying to cut it even with the scissors and be thorough using my fingers. When I was finally done, I was so proud of my accomplishment! I told him I should always cut his hair now, and I could be his new barber to save money. Since then, he's purchased a new set of clippers so that next time it won't take so long!

3 comments:

Debra said...

Way to go Kala! You did a mighty fine job with that haircut. I am very proud of you. And I agree with you in that being a Mom is just about every career wrapped up in one. The pay comes in smiles hugs and wet slobbery kisses (for me anyways. You are such a good mommy!

Ryan n Heidi said...

What a great sport! Not many guys would sit through that AND let you post pics! haa haa The haircute looks great- you are talented chica!

Miss Heather said...

That's a great haircut! I'm so bad at that and Michael hates to pay for haircuts. I just can't do it though!! :) You ARE amazing!