Thursday, November 6, 2008

Make Mine SCARY

The annual tradition of carving pumpkins happened just days before Halloween this year. Our friends the Hobbs' graciously gave us some pumpkins that Gina grew since the ones in our garden failed. The boys each picked out the appropriate pumpkin, by its size according to their age. Then the brain surgery began as each pumpkin's head was cut open and the guts were pulled out by each boy. As soon as the baby saw what the older 3 were doing, he of course had to join in the slimy fun as well. For some unknown reason to me, my boys have races over everything: who ran inside the house first, who finished their dinner the quickest, who put their clothes on the fastest... Well, Micah won the cleaning-out-the-pumpkin "competition". Since Ammon's pumpkin was the biggest, he convinced Micah to finish his for him as well. Sometimes it amazes me what brothers will do for one another.
Ammon wanted a scary pumpkin with lots of pointy teeth. Dad carved his for him, and Ammon was pleased with the final product. I carved the other three boys' jack-o-lanterns. Micah wanted triangles and circles to form an angry face. He thought his pumpkin turned out great. Jonah wanted all triangles to form a face as scary as Ammon's pumpkin. When I drew the design on paper, he liked it, but after it was carved he wanted me to "make it scarier" by cutting out a different mouth. But the pumpkin didn't want to be changed, and by the next day Jonah didn't mind. Since the baby loves Kitties, and since Kit-Kat was his first word (rather than mom or dad), I decided to make his jack-o-lantern just that.

PRESENTING the 2008 Pumpkin Carving Creations:

Ammon with the scary-faced j.o.l. he drew up all by himself.

Jonah with his triangular one.

Micah with his angry one.

Bubbers and his Kit-Kat.

3 comments:

Miss Heather said...

Adorable! LOVE the pumpkins! We cheat and use stencils so we can feel like pumpkin artists! :)

Stacy said...

Our baby did a kitty too. So cute.

Tawna said...

I LOVE the costumes and pumpkins. I think the boys are so creative and fun! I can't wait to see you guys, I better be home for Thanksgiving. What day you coming home?