Friday, October 4, 2019

May 2019

May 2: Ririe HS track meet. It was so windy, they didn't pole vault. In the 800m race, Micah placed 5th with a time of 2:23, and Jonah placed 10th with a time of 2:37. In the 3200m race, Micah barely beat teammates Eli and Nathan (within hundredths of a second!) to earn 6th place with a time of 11:15.  




May 3: Jr. High District track meet at West Jefferson. Kanyon PR'd in the 400m event with a time of 1:16 (I don't have any photos because I was at the concessions, not realizing his race had started!). In the shotput, he got 19' 09", and in the discus he was 12th place with the distance of 55' 00".



May 4: Josh took me shopping in Missoula after he dropped off a mower he was selling for the golf course. We got a few things for mother's day (strawberries and flowers), and on the way home we stopped and ate lunch at Naps in Hamilton. We love the new location! It was such a yummy lunch!

May 5: Josh helped me plant my new strawberries that we purchased the previous day, as a gift for Mother's Day. We dug up the previous June-bearing berries first, added more dirt, and then planted the new plants. Afterwards, he took me on a motorcycle ride.


The colors of spring with the snow-capped mountains
in the distance is always such a beautiful sight!

May 6: The first day of Teacher Appreciation Week. I felt so spoiled by my students' families and the PTO this year during the entire week!

A tradition at Terreton Elementary is to have volunteers
decorate all the teachers doors for the week of 
Teacher Appreciation week. Bobi Babcock did my door
this year, and I loved it--it was in reference to the 
parts I played in the community play in March. 




May 7: Day 1 of H.S. District Track meet at Ririe. Unforunately, I wasn't able to make it, but thankfully Josh did since he drove the bus for the track team. It was a mess with their timing system that wouldn't work, the weather wasn't great, and the meet was really disorganized. The pole vault height started at 9 feet at districts, and Jonah was unable to clear it. In the 3200m race, teammate Eli beat Micah this time. Micah had a PR for the season, and got 10th in the district with a time of 11:01!




May 9: Day 2 of High School District Track meet at Ririe. The weather was slightly better, the timing system was much better, but it was still disorganized. I feel like every time Ririe has hosted district track, it's like this! In the 800m race, Micah got 6th place in the district with a time of 2:18. The first six runners in the race were all from Salmon! Jonah got 13th place with his time of 2:36. In the 1600m race, Micah's time was 5:11 and Jonah PR'd with a time of 5:38. At the conclusion of the meet, the Salmon boys were awarded district champions, and they were so excited!! I was able to make it to see one of the races and the team get their trophy, and was so glad I could be there!










May 12: Mother's Day. Josh left that morning to drive bus for the golf team going to state. Ammon was home for the weekend, since he was done with college and would be headed to Meridian the next day to start his internship, and it was nice to have all my boys. After church, we ate, played games, planted flowers, relaxed, and had dessert. It was a nice day!
Kanyon picked me this [dandelion] flowers!

We played dominoes



We made banana splits since Josh wasn't home 
(he hates bananas)

May 14: Ammon started his summer internship at SpurWing Country Club! He's going to live with the Barningham's in Middleton for the summer. 

May 15: Kanyon graduated from the D.A.R.E. program. The speaker at the program was Jason Buck, a retired football player from the Redskins who lived in Idaho. Kanyon liked participating in this program, and I'm so glad that our school in Mud Lake offers it!
I liked this part of his essay about his brother Micah. 



May 16: Kanyon's awards ceremony and band concert. He got the 2nd highest score in his grade on the Math ISAT, and was one of only 4 6th graders to receive the "High Honor Roll" award. I'm so proud of him! Right after the awards ceremony was the band concert in the ALC gym. Grandma T. came down from Salmon to watch him. His band played 3 songs. They sounded so good! He's really improved greatly on the trombone this year!




May 17-19: Josh and I drove to Canada to go to his cousin Ivy's Celebration of Life in Claresholm. We left on Friday afternoon and drove as far as Kalispell to spend the night. On Saturday, we drove into Canada (it was the first time I had been there!). Driving through the checkpoint to get in was a lot more nerve wracking than we returned, and it was a little stressful for a few minutes trying to figure out how to make our car's odometer show Km/hour rather than miles! We ate at Tim Horton's and got some food for lunch before heading to a golf course clubhouse in nearby Claresholm where the Celebration of Life was held. It was a nice ceremony, and there were lots of people and many photos of her. It was a lovely tribute. I met Josh's aunt Becky and uncle Darren, and his cousins for the first time. Ivy had two children that she leaves behind, both of which will live with their dads. We felt very strongly that someone from our side of the family should go, and are so glad we were able to be there. On the way home, we drove through Cardston and I stopped to take a few photos of the temple. Our hotel for the night was in Montana, and when we got to the border, we discovered it was CLOSED!!! We drove a few hours out of the way in order to cross at a different border, and head down through Cutbank Montana. Our hotel was a nightmare--no one was at the desk, it was completely deserted! I tried calling, and Josh rang the front bell multiple times, and we wandered around the hotel, but no one ever came, so we went to the only other hotel in town and stayed. However, since we weren't able to contact anyone, that meant we also couldn't cancel our reservation, so the next day when we tried calling the hotel, the man disputed that we ever showed up since he was "there all night", and refused to give us our money back, so basically we double paid to spend the night! I hope I never have to go through Cutbank again! When we left on Sunday morning, we encountered snow on the way home! What a whirlwind of a trip, with some craziness, but ultimately we felt good that we were there to support them in this difficult time. 
Ivy's son is in the checkered shirt and tie, and her daughter is with the levi
jacket and curly brown hair that's being hugged. 

Josh with his cousin "Bud" (Darren Jr.). He also works in the golf course industry.

Josh with his cousin Koryn

Josh with his cousin Marie

Josh's cousin Crystal couldn't come. This is her son, who is
being raised by Aunt Becky. He was so cute and showed me
all his Pokémon cards! This was his favorite one!




Unbeknownst to us, this particular port of entry closes at 6pm during the off-season!


May 22: Jonah and Micah's awards night. It was a long night to suffer through--seriously, Salmon needs to separate awards night and scholarship night so that it's not a marathon night every year! Jonah and Micah came away with a haul of awards--they are such great students and we are so proud of their work ethic and accomplishments!

This was a fun surprise to get in the mail!
Ammon made the Dean's List again!!! 
We are SO proud of him for achieving this!

May 23: Jonah and Micah's spring concert. Micah sang with the Legacy Choir, and Jonah played the trumpet with the Savage Stage Band. It was an awesome concert--we love Mr. Anderson and the way he's built up the music program in Salmon. It's always a delight to attend the concerts! Both of the twins also played in the guitar class, but they didn't perform at the concert, instead they played a song during the school breakfast earlier in the week. Micah received the Teacher's Choice award for choir for being a positive influence, and that was a fun surprise for all of us! He deserves it! 








The high school arts department had a display in the commons area, and after the concert, we walked through and looked at it all. There are some talented artists in the high school! There was also a black light area with some cool neon paintings--unknowingly, Kanyon had also worn a neon shirt, so he fit right in!


May 24: Friday before Memorial Day weekend--Josh worked to get ready for the Idaho Couple's Chapman Tournament, and I drove down to Mud Lake, worked all day, drove home, and got pulled over TWICE!!! (thankfully I didn't get a ticket). I was a wreck by the time I got back to Salmon and was so glad to be home for the weekend!!!

Can you see the cop car behind me? This was in Terreton. 

Can you see the sherriff's truck behind me? This was near Lemhi. 

May 25: Jonah and Micah were given a HUGE science project to complete over Memorial Day weekend. WHAT?! Seriously, what teacher gives a project at the end of the year, let alone over a holiday weekend?! We were a bit irritated, but the boys were good sports. They had to build a roller coaster for a marble with certain specs, and had to do a report about it, too. We got them a bunch of different supplies, and on Saturday morning, they got to work together on it. Within just a few minutes, Jonah sliced off the tip of his thumb (because the track had to be open, and we'd gotten some plastic tubing, so he was cutting through it with a razor blade and it slipped). Thankfully Josh was home to handle the blood--but as we were rinsing it out in the kitchen sink, Jonah passed out and I tried to hold him up. It was a bit scary! After that, Jonah supervised Micah's work, since he was now out of commission to help! That project stressed us all out all weekend long. Thankfully, by Monday morning they completed the roller coaster after much trial and error, and then had to work all day doing the report aspect of it. I was thinking we should tape Jonah's chunk of skin to the project and ask for extra credit, since he sacrificed his body for this report, and apparently we should've because they got a B on the project!!


Ew! That's the chunk of skin he took off!!

Day 2 of the wound

It has a 360* angle, a spinner at the top, and 2 drops. 
(It had to have 3 features, including a 360* turn).
I know it's not much to look at, but we were just glad to be done with it!

 May 25-27: Memorial Day weekend. Josh made us some bbq pork ribs; he tried cooking them in the crock pot for the first time, and they were DIVINE! He also took me on a jeep ride up 4th of July Creek, but it was impassable due to snow several miles up and we had to turn around and come back.


May 29: 6th grade waterslide day, 2nd grade talent show, and Kanyon and I went to the Garden Bros. circus in Rexburg that night! I hadn't been to the circus since I was a kid, and Kanyon had never gone, so I thought it would be fun to go to. It was at the fairgrounds. It was a bit pricy, but it was super interesting, and they had a variety of acts.

Kanyon is at the bottom left in the clump of kids



2 of my students were gone. I sure love this class!

Performing the Virginia Reel Dance

Hugging Mrs. Sawicki at the end of the show since she's retiring. 

We unknowingly dressed in matching colors!!

I love love LOVE working with Val!


This was my favorite part of the circus--when two motorcyclists
were driving around in that cage together!!


May 30: Salmon's last day of school (no pics), and the 2nd grade waterslide day at West J
I'm halfway down the slide with my arms outstretched.

I love the waterslide!

May 31: Our last day of school at West J, and Val's retirement party. I was put in charge of part of the program, and I made a jar of Riesens (she loves candy) for her. On every riesen is taped a "reason" why we have loved working with Val at West J. I talked to employees, friends, and parents of students for their input, and ended up with 250 comments! This was a fun project that I came up with, but an emotional one for me, too. Val was supposed to retire in 2 more years, and just surprised me at the end of April with her early retirement announcement. I will miss her tremendously, and I went through all the motions in May: anger, denial, depression, and finally acceptance. I'm so grateful for the opportunity I've had to work with her. She's influenced me a lot, and has been so instrumental in helping me find joy in my job and living away from my family. It's not easy, and she's always been full of support, and constructive comments, and has brought laughter to my days. She's a one of a kind, and Im so blessed to call her my friend!
Kanyon's 6th grade teachers Mrs. Morton and Mrs. Lerwill have made a 
HUGE positive impact on him this year! I'm so grateful for them!

I have absolutely loved this class!!! (one student is gone from the photo)
I will miss them so much! They're a fantastic group of kiddos!





No comments: