Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Colorful 5K

One of the Salmon High School seniors did a 5K Color Run in October for her senior project. I've wanted to do a color run for a while; I think they look so fun! I wasn't sure if I would be able to commit to running the race because of other commitments I had going at the time, but Josh and the twins signed up and were looking forward to it. All 3 of them had a goal to run in a fun run this year, and this was an awesome opportunity for them to complete that goal! The week of the race, my schedule opened up and I realized I could suddenly go to the race. I knew I could walk it, but I wanted to know if I could jog it since Josh and the boys planned on jogging/running the whole time and I wanted to be with them during the race instead of walking it alone. Josh took me on a practice run a few days before the race, but I could only run about a half mile before I wanted to stop and walk, so I knew I couldn't run with them the whole time. But, I think I'm going to make it a goal of mine next year to run in a 5K! Ammon didn't run because it was still XC season, and you can't run in any races other than sanctioned high school events. He was also injured, so he couldn't run. 

The race was on Saturday October 17th. The weather was so beautiful; it was a great day for a race!  The race started at the high school. When we arrived there, all the registered runners received a t-shirt and 2 color packets. There was a great turn-out for the color run! Before the race started, Lexi Keller was doing Zumba on a trailer in the parking lot, and it was fun to hear the upbeat music and watch the dancers to help get the excitement flowing before the start of the race. 

I don't know why the twins hate having their picture taken!


Right before the race started, everyone started throwing their colors all around. It was quite the sight!!



From the starting line, they ran across to Shoup Street, and down Lemhi Back Road. After a mile and a half, they turned around and came back along the same route. All along the way, there were locations with volunteers who threw color at the runners/walkers. I drove the suburban down a ways to watch Josh and the boys. They were near the front line of the racers the entire way. It was so fun to watch them!! Kanyon opted to stay at the high school collecting leftover color packets and playing toss with some of the kids hanging around.



One of the color stations along the route. The lady with dark hair and black shorts
in the center is throwing color at the participants as they pass her. 




Josh and the twins ran together the entire race. I was so impressed that Josh was able to jog the whole time without any prior training. It was awesome to watch the 3 of them run together the whole time!





Turning the corner onto Shoup Road on the way back to the high school

This was the finish line--they all had a strong finish, wanting to beat each other!

After the race ended, I took some pictures of everyone covered in color! I threw color on the boys several times throughout the race, and I ended up getting covered in it, too!


Micah's dual-colored hair!



Jonah's face splotched with color dots

The successful and colorful racers!
It was a fun event and I'm glad we were involved in it! I look forward to running in a color run with Josh and the boys next time!

No comments: