Sunday, September 27, 2015

menus and movies, mushrooms and magic

For my birthday this year, I treated myself to a girl's weekend trip to Boise! I stayed with my friend Krissy for 2 nights, and we had a hilarious time together!! I was there from July 31-Aug 2, which was halfway between both of our birthdays (hers is July 9 and mine is August 14). I loved my birthday excursion and spending time with one of my bestest friends!
I didn't actually take a photo of us together the whole time
I was there--this is from January of this year. Close enough!
Basically all we did for 2 days was eat out and watch movies. And it was bliss! 

We ate at the Cheesecake Factory on Friday evening after I arrived in town. And surprisingly, we didn't have to even wait to be seated! That was a first for me! Our waiter was so nice, even though I may have accidentally said something super embarrassing in front of him, which I will not put on here because I'm keeping this blog G-rated. Dinner was delicious--although now I can't even remember what I ordered (something with chicken, I believe?!), and we ordered cheesecake to go so that we could have it for a midnight snack. After dinner, we went to the Edward's Cinema and watched Magic Mike XXL. It was SOOOO good--wayyyy better than the first! Since I saw the first one on my birthday with Krissy 3 years ago, I held out watching it this year so that I could see it with her again. And I'm so glad I did!! After the movie, we went back to her house and watched an Adam Sandler movie on TV until we were ready to go to sleep.

On Saturday morning, we slept in, and took our time getting ready as we watched another Adam Sandler movie. Then we went shopping at The Village--the giant shopping plaza in Meridian (which is actually right across the street from her apartment). My favorite store we went in was Charming Charlie's. Oh my goodness, I fell in love with how they color coordinate their sections of accessories! I got myself some earrings and a necklace. It was a super hot day, and after shopping for a bit, we were famished and so tired! So we went to Ling & Louie's down the street for lunch and binged, which was the worst part of the whole trip. We each ate an appetizer plus a meal, and we were so sick to our stomachs. Their nachos were DISGUSTING (but since we were so hungry we ate all of it, which was a huge mistake), and Krissy and I were bloated the whole rest of that day and the next because of it. I don't recommend ordering their nachos!!! I will definitely never eat there again. 

Anyhoo...so after lunch, we were too bloated to really do anything, so we went back to Krissy's house and watched yet another Adam Sandler movie on TV (there must've been an Adam Sandler marathon going on). Then we went to the movie theater to see "Paper Towns" (it wasn't as good as I thought it would be), and did some shopping at WalMart, and I got some new exercise clothes. Then we went BACK to Krissy's aparment, watched part of an Adam Sandler movie and decided on where to eat for dinner. We picked Gino's, a local Italian restaurant. It was located in Meridian, and it was a fantastic choice; I loved it! We ordered the stuffed mushrooms for our appetizer, and it was strangely the only photo I took of my entire trip to Boise!! I can't even remember what I got for dinner (again), but I did order a canoli for dessert, and it was FAR better than the one I got in DC last spring (which was the first time I'd ever had one). Our waiter was super awesome, and I loved the whole dining experience that night!
I try stuffed mushrooms whenever I see them on a menu, to see how they
compare with my friend Gina's recipe which is the BEST (and still is!!)

After dinner, we decided to go to a late show of Magic Mike XXL because we both loved it so much the first time!!! We looked all over the theater for a poster of the movie, but there wasn't one because it was the last weekend they were playing it, so they had already replaced all the posters of it with newer movie releases. I wanted to replicate this photo that was taken back on my birthday in 2012: 
My birthday in 2012

The next day, before I headed home, I went shopping at a few stores, and I got the soundtrack of that movie at Hasting's while I was there, so this is as close as my replication will be:

On my actual birthday, Josh and the twins were gone on the scouting trip to the Bighorn Crags, so I didn't actually do anything that day. But the Elder's Quorum party was in Ed & Kathy's yard that evening, so I got treated to a delicious prime rib dinner, which was nice! And I got to spend the evening hanging out with friends, which was fun. AND...John and Amanda surprised me by singing "Thank You for Being a Friend" to me at the party. It was the first time I'd ever been serenaded to (or received a singing telegram, whatever you want to call it). I did NOT see that coming! And then Barb brought me a cupcake and I blew out the candles that were in it, which were actually trick candles and I embarrassingly couldn't blow them out no matter how many times I tried (because I didn't know at the time that they were trick candles!!). Good times. 

All I wanted for my birthday was Telestrations, the game I'd asked for for Christmas, but didn't get. So I kept telling Josh over and over, and reminding him that's all I wanted. The morning he left for the Crags, I found a hidden note in my bathroom from him saying that his present to me was hiding somewhere in the house. I was tickled that he was so thoughtful about my gift even though he was already busy with getting everything ready for his trip. I found the gift a couple hours later, and it was Telestrations! Yay! The day after he got home from his backcountry hiking trip, I opened my presents from my mom and the boys. My mom gave me some new kitchen cooking utensils and money (which I used to buy more garments--boring but SO necessary). The boys gave me some of my favorite chocolates: Andes mints and Lindt balls. In addition to the game, Josh gave me my very favorite cereal Cracklin' Oat Bran (which I never buy because it doesn't go on sale and it's expensive). Kathy gifted me some money (which I bought new bras with--again very boring, but super essential!). Amanda and John gave me a bath soap collection on my birthday at the Elder's Quorum party, which was very thoughtful of them, too. I felt very spoiled and loved. 

I really wanted to go to dinner at my favorite restaurant Stockman's for my birthday, too, but it didn't end up happening. I was disappointed at the time, but Josh took me to lunch in Hamilton instead a few days later, and I was glad for the alone time with him. Overall, I had a fabulous birthday that was stretched out over two weeks' time!!

No comments: