Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Father's Day 2015

The day before Father's Day, the boys helped me wrap up their gifts to Josh. They thought it would be fun to have Josh find their gifts with a treasure hunt, like we did for his birthday last fall. We waited until he took his Sunday siesta, and we got to work hiding our individual gifts and creating our own clues to find them. When he woke up, I gave him a paper that said "Happy Father's Day to the best dad around! Today, your gifts from us will have to be found!". 

The first clue was: "Look in the area where wildflowers will grow". (We planted some up on the terrace in June, but they still haven't grown yet!)

Jonah wrote the next clue. It said "This is where you put things that eat weeds". At first Josh didn't know if it was the horses (who were by our house at that time, eating weeds in a roped-off area) or if it meant his weed-eaters. He figured out it was his weed-eaters in the mowing trailer.

I was in charge of writing the next clue. It said "Go to the place that holds all the bait. You won't be disappointed--a fun gift awaits!". He went right to his shed, where the tackle boxes and fishing poles are.

Kanyon had the 4th clue. He wrote "Its wear the animals eat" (the spelling of  'wear' made me smile). That was an easy one for Josh to find--Kanyon had put his gift in the dog house.

Ammon's clue was next. He said: "This is where you and I like to have some one-on-one time". Josh thought about that for a moment, before he decided it must be down at the shop by the basketball court. Ammon had hidden it up in the loft behind the basketball hoop!

Micah wrote the last clue: "Go to the place where people roast weenies". Josh checked in the fire pit in Ed & Kathy's yard, but Micah had actually hidden it under a tube right behind it, so Josh had to do some searching for it this time.

He could hardly carry them all after the treasure hunt was done!

The boys all either made or bought their own gifts for Josh this year, which I think he enjoyed. I had signed up the 3 youngest a few days prior at a local craft store's Father's Day tie-dying t-shirt class, and all three of their shirts turned out differently.

Jonah wasn't happy that his t-shirt looked more purple, as he'd intended it to be a patriotic red, white, and blue--but the colors bled together. So he wrote with permanent marker on the front to say #1 Dad. He was happier with the shirt after that, and I think he did a great job!

Kanyon's t-shirt turned out to be the most colorful. Josh likes it, because if he gets stains on the shirt while working, you won't even be able to tell!

Micah was also unhappy that his colors bled together, so he used a permanent marker and added a tie onto the tie-dyed shirt! It's a tie-dyed, tie shirt!!! Josh really liked the original design!

I found a big gnome for the yard that I just loved, and knew Josh would appreciate, so that was my main gift to him. Josh posed with the future, much older, model of himself! ;)

Ammon got Josh the DVD "Dumb and Dumber To". Josh loves the original movie, it's one of his favorites, and Ammon's been dying to watch the new one. I had no idea what Ammon's gift was because he went shopping all on his own, got it with his own money, and wrapped it, too, which really impressed both Josh and I. As soon as Josh was done opening presents, that's what they watched!

Ammon and I also got Josh some homemade fudge and truffles from the Candy Store, and his mom got Josh this funny T-shirt (he wore a new shirt every day that week to work!):

 I am so blessed to have married this guy. He's a great dad, and I'm so grateful to have such a wonderful role model for all my growing sons!

1 comment:

Gina said...

I saw him wear the #1 dad to soccer. I commented on him being the #1 dad, that's how I remember seeing him wear it. What a fun clue searching, gift finding idea!!