Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

We had Thanksgiving with the Perkins family at my parents' home in Tremonton this year. It's been 4 years since we've had Thanksgiving away from home, and I enjoyed it immensely! We drove down from Salmon to Tremonton on Thanksgiving day, and arrived within an hour of dinner. We sat around until everyone arrived and the delicious dinner was served. 
My mom had put name tags on everyone's plates
so we all knew where to sit!

Josh and Bryce watching some football (of course!) before dinner.

Cody's & Trina's families were already at the house when we arrived,
and we had fun playing with cousin Brendan!

As Cody was cutting the turkey,
my dad opened up all the sparkling ciders for us to drink.

The younger kids table was set up in the living room.

Yummy food: turkey, stuffing, rolls, mashed potatoes & homemade gravy, salads,
and yams (YES!! I love yams & Josh's family doesn't eat them at Thanksgiving).

Nothing says "I love Thanksgiving dinner!" quite like this face!


Here's Tabbi's toast to Thanksgiving!
As we ate Thanksgiving dinner, we all took turns talking about what we are grateful for. My mom said she was thankful for the family's sacrifice on her behalf as she's helped out my grandma the past year. My dad talked about a Thanksgiving he's reflected on from serving in Vietnam and being served a traditional American Thanksgiving meal by Vietnamese people who don't even celebrate that holiday. It was interesting to hear all my family's gratitude thoughts. After dinner was done, we sat around for a while, playing games and eating desserts.
Look at all that pie!!!

I had slivers of four pies to fill up my dessert plate: lemon meringue,
pumpkin cheesecake, my homemade pumpkin pie, and coconut cream pie.

Playing Ticket to Ride were Ammon, Aspen, Tabbi, Bryce & Tawna, and Jen.
It was the first time playing this game for half of them. 

We played a rousing game of "Things" where I was the butt of several responses!
In almost every round, there was a "Kala's Mouth" or "My Mom!" as answers!!

I love this photo: Bryce hamming up the camera, Tabbi playing with Sunny,
and Jen hyperfocused on answering the "Things" question.

I got a kick out of watching Abbie and Sunny
using spray cheese on crackers!

Forget having dessert on a plate--
Kanyon filled up his mouth with Cool Whip Spray!

It was an awesome Thanksgiving! Everyone came, and everyone got along, too!! We had a fabulous dinner and dessert, and enjoyed playing games and napping and visiting and laughing with each other! It felt good to be home with my family for the holiday, and I was so grateful for the chance! My kids all had a good time, too, which is another blessing! And that was just the beginning of our Thanksgiving weekend!

On Friday, Josh & I went Black Friday shopping all day, which we also haven't  done in 4 years. Black Friday has changed though, and a lot of the sales were on Thanksgiving Day, which we refused to participate in! We drove over to Logan on Friday morning and went to a TON of stores, and got a lot of our Christmas shopping done that day, which was nice. When we returned to Tremonton that afternoon, the boys were just playing outside in the nice weather at my parents' house, and they'd had a good time relaxing in the quiet house with all the extended family gone.

That night, Josh and I went to the newly renovated Ogden temple and did a session there, while  my mom watched the kids again for us, and it was so enjoyable for me!

On Saturday, we drove to Boise. We did a little bit more shopping with the boys this time, and took them to eat at Five Guys Burgers for the first time. While there, we saw our neighbor from Salmon! What a small world! After dinner, I dropped off Ammon & Josh at the stadium to watch the BSU vs. USU game that night. It was the first time that Ammon had ever been to a college game, and even though it was super late that night and freezing cold, they both had a good time and BSU won!


While they were having fun at the game, I took the other 3 boys to the Edwards Cinema theater in Boise to watch the MockingJay movie. I challenged both of the twins this past summer that if they would read all 3 Hunger Games books before Thanksgiving that I would take them to see the movie. Micah read all 3 books in time, and Jonah was over halfway into the 3rd book, so I accepted it. They liked seeing the movie in a large theater with reclining seats. We also had a good time together.

We spent the night at our friend Krissy's house, even though she was in Salmon celebrating Thanksgiving with her own family. On Sunday morning, we drove home, and Ammon proclaimed this year's Thanksgiving to be the "Best Thanksgiving Ever" which I had to agree!!

No comments: