Sunday, December 28, 2014

Random Sillies

Sometimes I forget to capture the small moments of our lives on my blog...moments that will fade away if I don't record them. It's the small things that really make memories memorable, and I want to be able to retain them! So here's a few little moments that happened this fall that were silly and brought a smile to my face:


At one of Ammon's Cross Country races in October, Kanyon came with me because he had a dentist appointment in Idaho Falls that same day. It was a good cross country meet for him to go to because it was at Rigby, where there's water to throw rocks into, sand to play in, and a large playground area to climb all over. Before Ammon's race, Kanyon played on the playground. During the race, Kanyon played on the beach. But after the race, I couldn't find him! I had been talking to Ammon and walking along, and suddenly I couldn't see him anymore. There were a LOT of people there, and I searched all over, calling his name, but couldn't find him. I was beginning to panic after 20 minutes of looking with no success. I started tracing over my steps, looking everywhere for the second time, and when I went back to the playground for the 2nd time, I was relieved to finally spot him, and couldn't help but laugh when I found him in this position: 


As I've been looking through Kanyon's school folder at the end of each week, I've started finding drawings and doodles on his math papers. Math is his favorite subject, and apparently he gets done very fast and waits for others to finish, and he's found extra time to practice his sentence structures and art drawings!! I found this first one quite entertaining! And the dragon drawings have become more common lately: I've discovered at least 7 pictures of them in the last three weeks! Kanyon has never been an artistic child (in fact, he used to have tantrums in Kindergarten when it was art time), so seeing him create these freehand drawings have made my heart happy



While we were cleaning and sorting the remainder of our garden's potatoes at the beginning of November, I came across a unique one. It reminded me simultaneously of a Mr. Potato Head with the giant eyes inserted, and also of the character "Sloth" from the Goonies due to the lopsided nature of its eyes. I fell in love with this potato, and its irregularities. Finding it was totally the highlight of that work project for me!


During the 3rd week of November, the elementary school had its parent-teacher conferences and the library's book fair coincided with it, too. I remember loving the book fair and book orders when I was a kid, and I'm glad my boys feel the same about it. They took their money to it, and purchased a new book each, and perused over what new pens/erasers/posters they could get, too. On the last day of the book fair, which was the same day that our conferences were scheduled, Jonah and Micah bought a new pen that had a rubber top with hard plastic balls attached--it looked like a mini jester hat. As soon as we got home, they instantly took apart the top of the pens and created silly goatees out of them instead!!! I would never have though to even do that, and I couldn't stop chuckling at the sight of them!


At the beginning of November, the twins had a week-long school project with a professional Storyteller. The Salmon Arts Council brought her in and she worked with all the 5th grade students teaching them how to be better storytellers. They interviewed people and learned how to retell those stories, they told their own stories, and some created new make-believe stories. Twenty students were selected to share one of their stories in front of an audience at the City Center at the end of that week. Micah was chosen to share the story of how he fell off the haybale last year and split his head open (here's a link to the blog post about it if you want more details: Micah's bloody fall). He did a good job presenting his story in front of the audience, and was kind of silly with his sound effects and quoting me! It made the audience laugh, too!

No comments: