Tuesday, November 4, 2014

setting it straight again

For almost two years, I've had a pretty short haircut. Before that, I had a straight A-line cut, and I remember when I first got it cut short that the kids at school all thought it looked "messy" because of the body that my hair had as a result of the new cut. 

I've enjoyed having a shorter hairstyle for the most part, but I find that it needs to be cut more often when it's short because it starts becoming lifeless and heavy and irritating to me within a few weeks after it's cut.  So, this summer, I decided I was going to grow the front and sides out again. To help with the process of trying to grow the short hair out, I got a perm in August. I really liked having curly hair--it was super easy to style every morning, and I liked the volume it produced in my thinning hair. But at the end of September, Josh told me that he didn't like the way my hair looked being permed. Apparently he hadn't liked it since the day I got it permed!! Sooo, I asked my hairstylist friend Amanda at the beginning of October if my hair was long enough yet to take the perm out. She blow dried it straight to find out for sure, and indeed it was long enough on the sides to reach the point I wanted it to be at for my requested new hairstyle.


Except, she said she didn't want to straighten it like I wanted her to--instead, she just cut the back short (which is what I wanted), and blow dried the front to make it look like the perm was gone. 


I've had this hairstyle for a month already, and I'm very satisfied with it. I like having it a little longer in front to frame my face, but a lot shorter in back to still add volume to my head.

I'm glad that I can still make choices regarding my hairstyle, and that I can change it up once in a while, because there's not a lot of things my hair can do anymore!! I do not enjoy having thinning, fine, lifeless hair! I miss the days long ago when I had thick, curly, long locks! I remember I used to be so annoyed and frustrated that my hair would tangle up so and get knotted so often, but it's impossible for my hair to do that now, and I wish I appreciated my hair back then when it was still all there and alive and well!

No comments: