Friday, November 14, 2014

Forgotten Reminder

The fridge is a central location in our home; everybody goes to it multiple times a day, and stops when they arrive there. Because of this, I purposefully put things on the fridge that I want us to see frequently. But at the same time, because we are so used to seeing the items so often, sometimes we don't really look at what's on the fridge. Does that make sense?

The front of the fridge is divided into 3 sections...

1. The top half of the freezer is used for reminders for Josh and I: my annual goals, Josh's goals, my visiting teaching list, Josh's home teaching list.

2. The bottom half of the freezer is full of family memories: photo magnets of places we've been together (this is my favorite part of the fridge--we are hoping to someday completely cover the fridge and freezer in photo magnet souvenirs).

3. The fridge door is covered with the boys' stuff: photos, art drawings, colored pictures, and chore charts.  

The south side of the fridge exterior holds baskets with toothpicks and rubber bands, a basket with coupons, a clip with the boys' 100% tests that are redeemable at Burger King, and our 2-year wish list.


Today, I was adding one of the boys' tests to the clip on the side of the fridge, and spotted the 2-year wish list. I stood still staring at it, realizing that it's been over 2 years since I created it and that it was time to make another one. It's been a long time since I noticed that list; and I purposefully posted it on the fridge with the intention of looking at it often as a reminder!!!

When we first moved into this house in 2010, there were a lot of furnishings we needed for it, but I was unable to get them all at once, so I created a long-term 2-year list to hopefully work on obtaining one item at a time until everything on the list was complete. After 2 years, I'd crossed off 10 of the 15 items that were listed. I wanted to continue working towards long-term goals, so I made a new list in the summer of 2012 with 10 new items. Unfortunately this time, only 4 items have gotten crossed off.
1. Replace van
2. New truck [Purchased 12/12]
3. New motorcycle (street bike)
4. Build 3-car garage
5. More chairs for dining table [got ones at D.I. 6/13]
6. New mattresses for twins' beds [got newer/used ones in 9/13]
7. Double-headed shower in master bathroom
8. Outdoor bench swing [put it in the yard 9/14]
9. Couple's trip to Mexico
10. Put hardwood floor in family room

There are two items that were on the original list that never got accomplished so I added them again onto the second list, but they ONCE AGAIN didn't get done: going to Mexico, and getting a new van. I'm determined to make them happen, so I'm adding them onto my list yet again!!!

Here's the new 2-year wish list beginning fall of 2014:
1. Replace van (this is becoming more important as the van is aging)
2. Build a garage (the original plans have been modified making it more affordable)
3. New streetbike motorcycle (we have seriously considered getting one for years)
4. Put hardwood floor in the family room (the carpet has become gross with the wood stove in there)
5. Install a light at the end of our deck (more light is needed by the steps)
6. New couch (the sectional is falling apart!)
7. New wood stove (our current one is cracking)
8. New dishwasher (our current one is leaking and is super noisy)
9. Family trip to Disneyland (I always said when Kanyon was 8, we'd go!)
10. Couple's trip to Mexico (this has been on all 3 wish lists, but I'm gonna make it happen this time!!!)

I think I'm going to put this list on the front of my fridge this time (instead of the side), so I will hopefully see it more often to remind me of the long-term goals for our family and home!

No comments: