Saturday, January 25, 2014

2013 Goals Report

I began 2013 with goals that were centered on 8 different areas of my life that needed improvement. Here's the link to the post where I discussed the beginning of this year's goals: Start of 2013 GOALS  
Although I did not complete all 8 goals I set for myself, I made valiant efforts in all the categories and I'm very happy with my progress!

1. PERSONAL: Never be more than 2 months behind on my blogging.
This is the reason I blog: to document my family's life,
then I buy books which include an entire year's worth of blog posts.
 
I just bought this large 2011 book at Christmas this year.
It's like a yearbook full of our family's stories, photos, & memories!
 COMPLETED! I've struggled with keeping my blog current in the past, so I made sure this year that I was never more than about a month behind the whole year. It takes me time to edit photos, which is usually why my blogging is delayed. I truly love blogging. I love taking photos and writing stories, and it's the best way for me to keep up on our own family's history.

2. SPIRITUAL: Go to the temple 6 times.
Las Vegas

Brigham City

Idaho Falls
COMPLETED! In March, I helped the youth with baptisms at the Idaho Falls temple. Then I went with my husband to the Las Vegas temple in March. We attended cousin Weaton's wedding in Brigham City in March. I went alone to the Idaho Falls temple in October. My mom did a session with me at the Logan temple in November, and I did one session alone again at the Idaho Falls temple in December.

3. INTELLECTUAL: Finish reading the Book of Mormon.

FAILED. I read some, but I still am in the book of Alma...

4. FAMILY: Take one of my boys on a date each month.
Ammon at the 28 Club Restaurant in January
Kanyon at the theater in August

Jonah at the Mexican Restaurant in October

Micah at the theater in November
COMPLETED! This was a fun goal that both me and my boys enjoyed! January--Josh & I took Ammon to a fine dining supper at the 28 Club. February--Josh & I took Jonah to fine dining at Bertram's. March--Josh & I took Micah to fine dining at Bertram's. April--Josh & I took Kanyon for a nice hamburger at the Savage Grill. May--I took Ammon to see "Iron Man 3" at the movie theater. June--I took Jonah to see "Epic" at the movie theater. July--I took Micah to see "Monsters Inc. University" at the movie theater. August--I took Kanyon to see "Despicable Me 2" at the movie theater. September--I took Ammon to see "Red 2" at the movie theater. October--I took Jonah to dinner at the Mexican Restaurant. November--I took Micah to see "Thor 2" at the movie theater. December--I took Kanyon to have nachos at the Mexican Restaurant.

5. MARRIAGE: Go on a trip alone with Josh twice during the year.
Kala at the Hoover Dam in March

On the beach of the Payette Lake in October

Josh walking on the Fairmont GC in November
COMPLETED! In fact--we had 4 trips together this year!! Josh and I had a fabulous time going to Las Vegas together in March, a not-so-happy time to Coeur d'Alene in July, a peaceful trip to McCall in October, and a relaxing time together at the Fairmont Hot Springs in November.

6. PHYSICAL: Get my weight under 200 pounds.
My summer walking buddies
TRIED, BUT FAILED. I made that goal at the beginning of January 2013 when I weighed 211 pounds. About 3 weeks later, I gained 10 pounds rather rapidly for no apparent reason. I bought some diet pills in February, and tried them for a month, but they didn't work. I began eating better in the spring, but didn't see a difference. Then I started having menstrual problems in May and was sick all the time, and I gained another 4 pounds. I began walking daily with my friends in June, and slowly lost a few pounds. Then in July I had my appendix out and had to stop exercising for about 10 days. Then we picked up the walking again and added some water aerobics to our weekly routine! Then in August I had another operation done, a uterine ablation. It was after that surgery that I finally could see some success with my attempts at weight loss. When I finally got my womanly parts fixed, my hormones weren't so out of whack, and my body seemed to respond well to the exercise after that! We continued walking in September and October, but had to stop water aerobics in mid-September due to the seasonal pool closure. In November, Krissy and I started going to Zumba and Yoga together. By the end of November, my weight was back down to 211 pounds. I had gained 14 pounds over the year, but I lost it all and ended the year right where I began. Although I never made it under 200 pounds, I gave it a good effort, and exercised more this year than I have in the past 5! I made some adjustments to my eating, and I'm feeling better and healthier than I have in years, so it wasn't a COMPLETE failure!

7. FINANCIAL: Pay off my credit card.

FAILED. This would've been done had it not been for the unexpected surgeries I had this summer. I had it 50% paid off by June...but then I stopped making major payments to it because I started having to pay major medical bills instead. I am happy to say that my emergency appendectomy is almost paid off (6 months later!). So, this goal should be realized by this upcoming summer (barring no more medical procedures are done!).

8. SOCIAL: Invite others to my home for a group gathering once per season.
Superbowl with Tarkalson's in February
Game time with friends in May

Barbecue with friends in August

Parties are never complete without a food spread!
COMPLETED! We invited the Tarkalson's over for the Superbowl in February (winter). We had some friends come for snacks & games on a Sunday evening in May (spring). We had a summer barbecue with friends in August (summer). We had some of Josh's family over for homemade French Onion Soup and game time in November (fall). And we had friends over for snacks & games in December (winter).

1 comment:

Holly said...

You did pretty great!!

What company do you use to print your blog books?