Sunday, October 20, 2013

What's red but looks gray?

There is always a story to tell. Some are more interesting than others. Some are more personal than others. Some are funnier. Some are longer. Some are life-changing. I like blogging because I like telling the stories of our lives. I like writing down the details of these stories, because the details help me remember and retain the memories better. I don't want to forget the little stuff, but unfortunately, most of the time I do. Thank goodness for my journals and for my blog posts, because these memories and the details surrounding them are not completely forgotten.
 
There's a difference between writing the facts, and writing with emotion. The latter is much more interesting to read, wouldn't you agree?! For example, I could say "I got my hair colored", and post some pictures, and be done. The facts & photos would be accurate, but not all that interesting. Or I could tell you the circumstances of what happened when I got my hair colored...which would be more interesting, so that's just what I will do.
 
One day back in August, I had the sudden urge to color my hair--in red and blonde streaks. This was a huge idea to me, because I don't believe in coloring my hair for several reasons: 1. I believe God gave me the hair color I have and I should try to make do with what I've been given. 2. Once you start coloring your hair, it's a constant process of keeping up on the color. 3. I've seen people who's hair has been destroyed from bleaching and coloring too much, and I don't have that much hair left to ruin what I've got. 4. It's expensive to color and I don't usually spend a lot of money on things for me.
 
So, I've been against coloring my hair for years, despite the encouragement from several hairstylists I've gone to. There was 2 times in my life that I did get highlights, though: once when Josh and I were separated 12 years ago, and I wanted to feel better about myself so I got some blonde highlights and once 2 years ago when I was feeling down and I got some dark brown lowlights for my birthday. Neither one of these was a huge change, and eventually the highlights faded or grew out.
 
When I had the sudden urge to color it, I told my friend Amanda (who's been my hairstylist for 3 years now), and she was so excited that I had finally swayed my thinking to believe in coloring my hair! I think I just wanted something bold to change my appearance because I was nervous for my upcoming surgery in the middle of August. So, shortly after I expressed my desire, I changed my mind and decided I didn't want to color my hair because I didn't want to do anything too drastic and regret it. But, she wouldn't let me forget what I'd said, and she had Krissy (our other friend) make sure I wouldn't forget it either. They made an appointment for me in September, and Krissy brought food, and Amanda got all the hair colors ready, and I couldn't back down at the last minute. I felt like I was forced into it, and I felt guilty for having Amanda take her time to do it, and I felt unhappy that it was happening.
 
But, as soon as it was all done, and I looked in the mirror, I loved it!!! I immediately felt tons better and I loved looking at my reflection and all the red and blonde streaks! I felt so pretty and I was so grateful to Amanda and Krissy for making me follow through with my urge! Then we laughed and ate and talked for hours afterward, and I had a great night with them!
 
I got home late that night, and Josh was already in bed. The next morning, when he woke up and looked at it, the first thing he said was "you look more gray". I was soooo mad at him, so I got out of bed and got ready for church and primped myself up until I felt like I was lookin' good. I figured I'd get lots of compliments at church that day, and that people would notice because it was such a big difference in my appearance. I ALWAYS notice when others get their hair colored or cut, so I figured somebody would return the favor.
 
Unfortunately, that was the day that we got a new Bishopric, and nobody was looking at me or my hair, they were all focused on the new changes in the ward. So, at the end of church, I felt like crap. I came home and cried. I was sad that Josh had made that comment the morning after my new big hair color change, and I was upset that not a single person noticed my hair (except for a little girl I passed in the hall from the other ward). So, I got a complex about it and I worried that it didn't look good, which is why nobody wanted to say anything about it.
 
Because my new hair color was such a HUGE change for me (both emotionally and physically), I just expected it would be so noticeable to others too. When I told Josh why I was upset that afternoon, he felt bad about what he'd said that morning. His excuse was that his eyes were just focusing, and he was looking at the back side of my hair (which is more blonde), and in the dim light of the morning, it appeared gray. He tried to make up for it then by telling me that he thought it looked good, but I didn't know if he really meant it or if he was trying to make it up to me to counteract the earlier comment. Let this be a lesson: don't EVER tell a woman who's trying to feel more pretty (as she's aging) that she looks more gray!!!!
 
During the next week at school, only about 5 students (out of 320) noticed my hair, as well as a few teachers. But in the last month since it happened, I've gotten lots and lots of compliments, so I don't have a complex about it anymore. I feel better about posting pictures of myself with my new hair on here now. It's interesting that more people noticed my new hair after about 2 weeks after it had happened!
 
These pictures were taken on the day after I got it done--when I got all primped up to look nice for church.


Can you notice the color from these angles? Here's a much closer look at the red/blonde streaks of color in my hair:

I've heard from several people that it's much more noticeable in the sunlight, so I took a few pictures last week in the outside daylight, and I don't know if that's true or not...


It took me a couple weeks to decide that I like my hair, regardless of whether anybody else notices it or likes it or not! And I think I've decided that I will continue to change up my hair color once in a while. Next time, I'd like to try more red, and less blonde. I'm so blessed to have a great hairdresser, and awesome friends who convince me to do things that are ultimately good for me!

1 comment:

Jodi and Skott said...

I LOVE the red highlights! I have found the best way for a pick-me-up is some new color.
I think they look great!