Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Day 4: stop & go

On the Sunday morning of March 10 (Day 4 of our vacation), we woke up, packed up all our stuff, checked out of the hotel, and drove away from Las Vegas. Because it was the morning of Daylight Savings, when we left we were already an hour behind our anticipated schedule for the day. The plan was to drive the entire way home to Salmon all in one day. When we got on the freeway, we immediately hit a major traffic jam. There were NASCAR races on the track that was just north of Vegas on Saturday and Sunday morning, and we encountered the millions of people headed there. It took us an hour and a half to go 14 miles. It was especially frustrating to sit in traffic and go nowhere fast.
 
Of course, once we got past the area where the racetrack was, there was no traffic, and we finally got on our way as originally intended. But that meant that we were now 2 1/2 hours behind where we thought we'd be.
 
We drove straight through the tip of Arizona...
 
and only stopped in Cedar City, Utah for gas and made sandwiches from our cooler for lunch, before heading to Tremonton.
 
 When we got to Tremonton, we picked up Kanyon from my parents house and ate dinner and talked to them for a few minutes. We packed his stuff into the car, thanked my parents, and drove the rest of the way home. And of course, Idaho greeted us with the snow that was still there from when we left it just a few days prior. I was so glad to have escaped the snow in the desert for a few days!

It was a full 12-hour drive for us from Vegas to Salmon. It was excruciatingly long. I watched a movie twice for a school project while Josh drove, and I worked on creating scripts and program outlines for an upcoming student performance, so it wasn't a complete bore and waste of time sitting in the car for that long. Oh, and I also napped ;). When we finally got home late that night, we unloaded the car, I worked on the coming week's lesson plans, and I finally made it to bed around 1am.

It was a nice vacation with my husband, and I'm grateful that we took the opportunity to go to Vegas and be alone together for 4 days. I enjoy spending time alone with him! He's my favorite person to travel with, and being with him just makes me love him even more! I was happy to be back in my own bed again, though, and I missed my kids and was glad to see that they all survived and made their own happy memories with friends and family in our absence.

No comments: