Friday, November 23, 2012

the perfect autumn bite

The new recipe I tried in October was Pumpkin Fudge.

I searched on Pinterest for recipes, and tried a few. The one that I found the best was this:

Ingredients:
3 c. sugar
2 TB light corn syrup
3/4 c. butter
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
1 1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice (1 t cinnamon, 1/4 t ginger, 1/4 t nutmeg, 1/8 t ground cloves)
1 12 oz. pkg white chocolate chips
1 7 oz. jar marshmallow creme
1/2 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
1 1/2 t. vanilla

Instructions:
Butter a 9x13 dish. Combine 1st 6 ingredients in heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sugars dissolve, then continue cooking until mixture begins to boil, stirring constantly. Boil until a candy thermometer reaches the soft boil stage of 234* (about 30 min. of stirring). Remove from heat. Stir in white chips until they are melted & mixture is smooth. Add remaining ingredients, mix well. Pour into prepared pan, store refrigerated in airtight container. Makes approx 60 pieces. (I used a smaller pan so that the pieces were thicker, and it made 30 pieces).

My whole reason for making pumpkin fudge was to sell pieces of it at the pumpkin patch. I've made pumpkin pies for the last 2 years to sell at the patch, too, but not everyone likes the texture of pumpkin pie, so I wanted to make something else in addition to it. I sold the little 1" fudge squares for 50 cents each, and I sold out of it each weekend. Everyone kept telling me that it's "the perfect little bite of autumn flavors"! I use my own pumpkin puree that I make from the pumpkins we grow in the patch in both the pies and the fudge, and I think that it makes it that much more delicious!

Speaking of my homemade pumpkin puree, it's on my list of things to do (and make) today...

No comments: