Sunday, November 18, 2012

out came the smoke, and swallowed up the sun

One morning in the middle of September, I took Kanyon to Idaho Falls for a dentist appointment. It was a nice drive, and after an hour (of the 2 1/2 hour drive to get there), the smoke dissipated, and the blue skies emerged. I was so happy when we arrived in Idaho Falls that day, because I could experience the sunshine, blue skies, and white clouds; it did wonders for my soul.

On the way back home that afternoon, about an hour from Salmon, I could see the the dark smoke clouds looming ahead. The highway from Salmon to Idaho Falls is desolate, so I got my phone out, and started taking photos out my driver's side window. I witnessed the onset of the smoke from the forest fires, and the literal disappearance of the sun. The sun got smaller and smaller in the smoke, until it utterly vanished. With the disappearance of the sun came the doomy feeling returning in my spirit. It was so difficult not breathing clean, fresh air. It was so hard not seeing the mountains so close to our home. It was so challenging to not feel the refreshing rays of the sun when it disappeared during those 2 months.

 
 
 
 


Goodbye Sun. Hello Smoke.


 

1 comment:

darcymae said...

And all of this while you were driving!!