Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sport-astic!!!

I am a lover of the arts: theater, music, dancing, performing, painting, etc. I have tried and tried to pass this love of mine onto my boys. But none of them are into it like me. All four of my sons prefer to be involved in sports instead. {sigh}

I am proud of them for their continued successes in the varied sports that they play, but I never envisioned myself growing up as a person who would someday be interested in or be involved with sports! Motherhood is a magnificent thing that introduces you to a whole spectrum of activities and situations you never would have been a part of otherwise!!

The winter sports that the boys were involved in this year were basketball and wrestling. Wrestling is one sport I especially never thought my sons would do (and football too, but Ammon has played that for 2 years and continues to love it). I remember in high school watching the wrestlers starve on days they had meets, and I told myself that I would "NEVER" let my sons be wrestlers because it was so unhealthy and so physical!

Ammon was involved in Jamboree basketball for the 4th year. He really excelled at the sport this year, and it was so fun to watch him play! At his final game in December, he scored a whopping 20 points for his team! He was on fire! And it was so exciting to see him and to cheer for him as he played so well!




We signed up Jonah and Micah to be a part of the Little Savage wrestling team. None of our boys have ever wrestled before, nor had any member of Josh's or my immediate family. This was a whole new experience for all of us. I signed them up hoping that Micah's aggressive behavior could have a positive outlet, and the twins could learn some new ways to deal with their phsycial nature.  It turned out quite the opposite of what I had hoped.

Micah didn't like wrestling at all, and at each of the meets, he would give in to his opponent without a lot of fight, but he was always upset that he didn't get a medal.


Jonah didn't like wrestling either, but he gave it everything he had and at every meet he made it to the medal round. 

 
It was fun to go to their out-of-town tournaments and to see their different styles of wrestling. Thankfully, they never had to wrestle each other competitively, but there was a few times that they were both wrestling at the same time, and it was hard to watch both of them simultaneously!


All season long, they both said that they didn't want to do it again next year, but at their last tournament they competed in, they both earned a medal and they were both very happy about that, so perhaps they might change their minds.


Ammon, Jonah, and Micah all inherited athletic abilities, unfortunately none of which came from me! I am so proud of them for participating in sports and for being involved in activities that keep them physically active!

No comments: