Thursday, April 12, 2012

green & mean

One of my goals for 2012 is to try one new recipe a month.

In January, I made a hamburger/lentil/vegetable/rice soup. It was delicious and I loved it!

In February, I made ham hocks with beans that I spiced with homemade salsa. It was filling, but the leftovers weren't so good.

In March, I sort of forgot to make a new recipe. But then I remembered that I DID try something NEW with a food that I've made before. On St. Patrick's Day, I made mashed potatoes and ham for dinner. And as I was cooking the potatoes, it occurred to me that I should add something green to the dinner menu to celebrate the holiday. Instead of just adding green beans to the meal, I decided to add green coloring to the mashed potatoes. So, after the potatoes were cooked, I put green dye in the milk before adding the milk to the potatoes. It worked beautifully! I was so proud of my quick-thinking, creative idea! It was a total surprise to everybody when I opened up the lid after everyone sat down for dinner. The boys were excited to see it; Josh was not (he doesn't like to try new foods). That night, he had a tummy ache and had to keep using the bathroom, and he blamed it all on the green food coloring that I put in the mashed potatoes! Which I thought was absurd...but he was just making sure that I realized his displeasure with the change I'd made with dinner that night! Silly old man...new tricks are just for kids {apparently}!!! 

No comments: