Sunday, October 23, 2011

I can see clearly now...

Last spring, I started hearing Ammon complain about the fact that he couldn't see the writing on the board from where he sat at the back of the classroom. I told him to move to a desk in front that would be closer to the board, but he wouldn't because he thought it wasn't a big deal.

It made me think back to a time when I was in 4th grade, and I couldn't see the writing on the board anymore, and even after I moved to a desk closer to the front of the room, the writing on the board still appeared fuzzy. It was in the 4th grade that I got my first pair of glasses.

This summer, as we were driving home from vacation at the end of July, I asked Ammon to tell me when he could see the words on freeway signs and exits. He couldn't see the words until they were right in front of us. It was then that I realized his eyesight was worse than he had let on.

After we got home, I made an appointment with the Eye Dr. in August. He wasn't looking forward to the appointment at all because he didn't want to have to wear glasses. The Eye Dr. was his best friend's dad, and he is very good at working with kids (and adults). It was determined from the appointment that Ammon did, indeed, need glasses.

We walked around picking out different glasses, and he tried them on. This was one of our favorites:

Ultimately, he picked a smaller, lighter pair. The office ordered the glasses and said it would be 2-3 weeks before they would arrive. On the drive home from the Dr.'s office, Ammon told me that he would only wear his glasses at school during times when the teacher wrote on the board. He said that other than that, he would just take them off and carry them around in a glasses case. I told him the only times he'd really have to take them off was during sports and sleep, but he insisted that he would have them off more than he'd be wearing them. I think he was concerned with how others would perceive him if he wore glasses.

When his glasses arrived at the end of August, he was pleasantly surprised at just HOW MUCH he could see with them on!!! He no longer considered it a "nerdy" thing to wear them because he was just glad that he could see! So, just as I predicted, the only times he takes them off is to play sports and sleep!

Even though he's only had them for 2 months, he looks so different now when he's not wearing them. They look so good on him and fit him perfectly! And best of all, he doesn't complain about not seeing anymore!