Thursday, October 16, 2008

Salmon Idol

I performed and competed in the Salmon Idol competition last week. It's a fundraiser for the high school show choir just like TV's American Idol, except on a small-town-scale. The annual event started last year, and I've participated in it both years.
My song choice was inspired by the movie "Mamma Mia". I LOVED that movie! I watched it twice in the theaters, which is rare. I sang the song Dancing Queen by ABBA. I chose two cute high school girls (AKA Kimi & Sloan) to be my back-up dancers and dubbed them the "Teen Queens". We had SOOO much fun getting ready! I felt like a giddy teenager again! We came up with our choreography and practiced several times prior to the event.
That day, we got dressed in our hot-pink and black costumes, did our make-up complete with pink eyeshadow and glitter spray, and sprayed our hair pink. I made the crowns (can you tell where they originated? Answer=BK!!) We wore sunglasses that we tossed off during the song, and we had prop-guys.They handed us our crowns, donned T-shirts complete with "Cheer for Kala and the Teen Queens" signs, and dipped the girls so fashionably at the end of the song. Rather than just getting up on the stage and singing, I was all about having an awesome production! Mission Accomplished! Due to my tight corset, and dancing around, I couldn't sustain my notes, and therefore I was a little disappointed in my actual singing. But I'd like to blame that fact on my missing links...unfortunately, my best man Josh and my best friend Hailey couldn't attend the event. So I think it's fair to say that I just wasn't the same without them!!! The judges' results announced that I didn't win again for the 2nd year in a row, but disappointment didn't keep me down for long...now I have even bigger plans up my sleeve for next year! Surely the 3rd time will be the charmer!!!

5 comments:

Hailey Linger said...

Wow you look so FANTASTIC. I wish I could have been there. You know you always have my vote. You don't need a trophy to prove you are the "Dancing Queen". I already knew that. Thanks again for teaching me how to blog.

Miss Heather said...

HOT! So HOT!! HOT HOT HOT!!!

D'Neill said...

Hey Kala - I heard from several people while I was in Salmon how awesome a job you did!!! Your pictures are BEAUTIFUL!

Tawna said...

Sorry you didn't win...looks like you had a lot of fun though. I'll be able to come to your one next year for sure! I miss you guys, I LOVE the story about Jonah...so cute. I love your kids so much Kala. I hope you know that. You have done a great job raising them. I can't wait to see them, I hope at Christmas time. They are one of my biggest joys in life. Thanks for sharing them with me. Love you all!!

Candise said...

Missing Salmon Idol...one of the tragedies of leaving Salmon. You look fabulous, and probably had more fun than anyone else. Pink is your color!