Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fickle Pickle


When I was growing up, I hated certain foods. I thought that meant I was "allergic" to them. Once, in 4th grade, I was getting served hot lunch by the lunch lady and I told her I could not have the spinach because I was allergic to it. Later I found out that I really wasn't "allergic", since that didn't mean the same thing as "dislike".
I remember from my childhood my Grandma Rose's cellar as always being full of homemade canned peaches and pears. Those peaches were divine. But I never liked the pears. The texture was strange to me. That's the same reason I disliked tomatoes, although I love ketchup. And, well...I can't remember why I didn't like cucumbers, I just didn't--although I do love pickles.
This summer, we tried to grow corn, pumpkins, onions, and cucumbers in the garden. Only five corn plants even grew, and the corn growing on them didn't mature enough to eat. None of the onions even sprouted, period. And as for the pumpkins, the deer have taken big bites out of all of them that were big enough to do something with. That leaves the cucumbers. Remember, I said I didn't like them? Well, we've had dozens and dozens of cucumbers. Our only successful crop this year. We started pulling them in August, and I finally got the last bit out of the garden last weekend. Guess what? I like cucumbers now. They are so delicious. Josh likes them with sprinkled salt and pepper on them. That's yummy too.
Josh's aunt gave us a whole bunch of home-grown corn and some cherry tomatoes. The corn was delicious, we had it for 3 whole meals. And remember how I didn't like tomatoes? Well, they were so ripe and delicious, that I ate several.
Our apple trees didn't produce any apples this year due to the late spring frost after the blossoms bloomed. I was looking forward to those apples, too. Our cherry tree produced its fruit in July, and I enjoyed partaking of them. But guess what had a TON of fruit on it? The PEAR tree. Remember I disliked pears? Well, I started eating them and they are so delicious!
I've been thinking that maybe I'm a fickle pickle. Maybe I really don't know what I like or dislike. Maybe I was a prejudiced youth who had stubborn thoughts toward certain foods. Or maybe my taste buds have changed. Who knows? I've changed my mind about spinach, too (remember I used to be "allergic"). So I'm thinking I'm going to try all of the foods that I was "allergic" to as a youth and see how they taste now. Starting with Brussel Sprouts.
NOT!

6 comments:

Hailey Linger said...

Okay, it's good to see I'm not the only one who went home and started blogging. I love your pictures! I would just say your tastes have gotten more refined with age. Although you did give me a good idea. Whenever I am offered something I don't like I'll just tell them I'm allergic! He He!

Sunshine Designed said...

You ahould make some Pickles! I grew up on home canned pickles. They are the best thing this side of the Mississippi- I guarantee it! We have tomatoes and squash coming out of our ears here. Wish you were closer to share the bounty.

Sunshine said...

so funny, this is my take on it...before I had kids I really didn't like crab legs. After I had my daughter...oh my word, I am addicted. I guess it is good that our taste changes, although I do have to add that home grown anything is a million times better than store bought.

Tawna said...

I totally remembered the canned peaches and pears in grandma's basement..great memory. I LOVED those pears. That makes me miss Grandpa. Remember when we stayed for a week and went to the Strawberry Days fair? And always drinking tea with grandma and watching Wheel of Fortune?

Candise said...

Hooray for gardens and home canned food. I have missed my garden, and canning this year. Enjoy it a little more for me!

Miss Heather said...

Ha ha ha! I'm so jealous you're not really "allergic" to tons of foods... I am allergic to ginger, coconut, watermelon, cantaloupe, cloves, avacado, walnuts... oh so many things...

I found an old Spotlight form in my scrapbook today from when I was in Primary... and it said my least favorite food was Oatmeal. I LOVE Oatmeal now! It's one of my favs!! But brussel sprouts are just nasty. NASTY NASTY!!

It's okay if you're still "allergic" to them...

P.S. I found some pics today of you, me, Sara and Eve as prostitutes in Pericles at the Shakespeare Festival in 1995. HILARIOUS! We were all such hotties! I was loving it!!