Friday, August 8, 2008

Jonah and Micah's 1st Special Day

At the end of July, Josh had some meetings to attend in Boise, so I took Jonah and Micah on their first outing alone together. When Josh or I take the kids individually on an outing without their siblings, we call it their "special day". Ammon has gone on Special Days since he was 3 years old, but we hadn't taken the twins on one yet. On their Special Day, they choose the activities they want to do, and where and what they want to eat. The only request that Jonah and Micah had for the day was to eat and play at McDonalds, so I chose some additional activities for them.
Our first stop was to go miniature golfing in Meridian. They had never done it before, so on the first 18 holes, I taught and trained them how to hold the putter correctly and instructed them how to hit the ball. By the second round of 18, they were getting the hang of it on their own. Jonah especially did well, and scored 2 or 3 on several holes. Micah was a little impatient, and had difficulties waiting for his turn to hit the ball, but lucked out by scoring a 2 on one hole, and also got 3 on a few holes. We spent about an hour and a half playing golf, and really enjoyed it!
Jonah <<------------------------------------------->>Micah


We decided to go to McDonald's next. I drove around for 40 minutes looking for a McD's that had a playcenter. By the 4th McD's I found without one, I told the boys we would just eat there and play later at a regular park. They each got a happy meal that came with a toy that played a noisy siren-sound which they absolutely loved but daddy hated!

For our last activity, I took them to the Boise Zoo. We took them for their birthday last year to the Hogle Zoo, and they really liked it, so I thought they would enjoy seeing a zoo again. It was a very hot day, and they wanted to hurry from animal to animal. We saw ALL of the animals in less than an hour! Since we did a speedy tour, I didn't really get any great photos from it. Jonah's favorite animals were the monkeys and frogs. Micah's favorite animals were the penguins and the eagle. After we saw all the animals, we went inside their Interactive Center, where they tried on some animal costumes. Because it was air conditioned, they stayed and lingered in there for a few minutes. They each got a souvenir toy from the gift shop too.

Jonah looking at the zebra
Micah touching a turtle
Micah as a turtle.
Jonah as a Macaw.
I let them play at a park near the zoo until daddy's meetings were done, then we left Boise to return home.
We stopped in Stanley on the way to Salmon and visited with our Forsgren cousins. Cousin Sam and cousin Seth had just recently rescued some baby birds whose mother was gone. Micah enjoyed holding one of the baby birds. Unfortunately, the baby bird that Jonah held peed all over his arm, so that wasn't very pleasant for him!
Overall, I think it was a great first special day for them! I enjoyed spending time alone with them, and I know they loved being able to be "Big Boys" and having a "Special Day" with mom. I look forward to many of these in the future!

7 comments:

Stacy said...

I bet that was so fun for them. What a nice mom!

Tawna said...

I love Micah and Jonah. On the drive back from Fish Lake, I kept looking back at them and taking pictures of them in my mind, I know that sounds silly, but I hate that I don't get to see your kids that often. I love them so much. They make me so happy. There is just something about being around kids. I know they can be difficult at times and test your patience, but the good things are so rewarding. I love how they interact with each other and with those around them. They each are unique and I love that as well. Sounds like a fun day! Wish I could see you all this weekend. Have fun in Bear Lake! Love you guys!

Sunshine Designed said...

Isn't everyday a "Special Day". Oh how we wish it were!

Amy - said...

Your family is SO cute! I am glad that you found me. It is great to read about your family and the fun you have! :)

Emily said...

Look at you being super mom! LOve the pictures, and I can't believe how big they are getting!!

Anonymous said...

Twins how kool!

birdeeb said...

I recognized the costumes...fun!