Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My Husband...the Politician?


Last October, we had some issues with the school board member that represented our area. She misrepresented us, and it really upset us. The school bus route that covered our area was completely removed, and nobody in the area knew. We fought with the school board for 2 months before we finally came to a compromise. That battle started a fire in my husband. Ever since the start of the school year, he has gone to every public school board meeting except for two. He decided last fall that he wanted to be on the school board. Our school board member representative's term is expiring. So, Josh is running against another fellow for the 3 year spot. It's quite a commitment and there's a lot of heated issues going on in the school district right now: new administration, teacher's jobs being cut, a new building being proposed, major bus concerns, as well as the regular disciplinary and personnel and budget issues. I'm so proud of him for taking a stand to better the schools for our children. I'm so glad that he is willing to make this sacrifice on his personal life (and, might I add, Monday night football in the fall--since the school board meetings are on Monday nights). I am so happy that instead of whining and complaining about things that are happening, he wants to be an active force. Because, if you want change, do something about it! And he's trying to do just that! The school board election is today, and I'm nervous and anxious for him! If he makes it, it will be a large commitment on ALL our part. Three years is a long time, and there will be lots of meetings and time away from home. It requires a lot of dedication, but he's proven that he's willing to go the distance, and we are too!!!

3 comments:

Candise said...

Wow, I didn't realize the election was today...Good Luck Josh! I admire you for you desire to stand...and your family for their willingness to stand by your side. Good Luck! I'll be anxious to hear the results!

Emily said...

GO JOSH! Keep us posted!

Tawna said...

Hi! Congrats to Josh for winning the election. I think it's great! I love that you have a blog... I have one now, too! It's tawnaperkins.blogspot.com I decided to do it so people could stay caught up with my "wild" life as I start my new adventure! Tell the boys hi, I love and miss them, and to enjoy summer!