Friday, December 28, 2018

Salmon Idol 2018

I competed in Salmon Idol last year with a student named Peyton, and we won the competition. This year, we returned as guest performers. For weeks and months leading up to the event, we couldn't decide what to sing. This year, the theme was "Miscast"--so songs that are usually sung by boys would be sung by girls in the competition, and vice versa. We weren't required to follow the theme, but I thought it would be fun if we did. We started talking about ideas last spring, but no inspirational ideas really started coming to me until August. Every time I'd get an idea, I'd text Peyton and ask what she thought. A half dozen ideas later, and time was running out. About two weeks before the show, I knew it was crunch time. We finally agreed on the song "I kissed a girl" by Katy Perry. Although it's sung by a girl, and we were both girls, we could turn it around and act like guys singing about kissing a girl! We practiced only one weekend, and decided what our costumes, stage blocking, and props would be. It came together so quickly! It was a lot less stressful than last year, when we practiced every weekend for a month (but that work definitely paid off!). Peyton dressed up like a jock, and I was a nerd. We worked out who would sing what line, according to what our characters might say, and we created the harmony for when we sang together. We had SO much fun! It has been such a ball performing with her the past two years! 

Transformation Tuesday!!!


I'm very self-conscious about these photos. I knew when
I wore this outfit, that I would be promoting a non-flattering
side of myself. However, I wanted to be in character and tuck
in my shirt, and I was proud of myself for fitting in to these
jeans even with my tucked shirt--I had worked all summer
and fall to lose weight and at this point I was down 15 pounds!


My friend Jen was in the front row, and she kindly took 
these photos of me! ;) BTW, I borrowed this wig from a 
  former student of mine at WJ, and it was perfect, dontcha think?!

Peyton and I type-casted ourselves into these roles!
I NEVER could've passed for a jock!! ;)




Josh took a video of it for me. SIDE NOTE: I instructed him how to use my camera to video before the show started, and even modeled it for him. I stressed how important it was to focus it BEFORE pushing the button to record, because then it never auto-focuses after that. He said he already knew that, and was kind of irritated that I was showing him. However, this video is proof of WHY I was trying to go in to detail with him, because I knew this would happen! Please excuse the blurriness...


No comments: