Saturday, December 29, 2018

Halloween 2018

Halloween isn't near as fun now with teenage children as it was when they were younger. I'm really the only one who gets excited to dress up in costumes any more!! Thankfully, Kanyon still dresses up, but I'm sure it will only last a couple more years :( (if that). 

We carved pumpkins for family home evening on Sunday night the 28th. I had to buy one pumpkin this year, as our garden only produced two larger ones, and I wanted the three boys to each have a good-sized one. Josh and I carved two of the medium/smaller ones from our garden, too. It was fun, and I'm glad everyone wanted to still be involved with the annual pumpkin carving event!!


 
I made the hot air balloon, Josh made the minion eye, 
Micah carved the XC symbol, Kanyon's creation was the skull, and Jonah create a running man. 

For Halloween this year, I wanted to be a minion. I went to Rags and Wags looking for a pair of overalls that would fit me, because I wanted to make my own costume, and I found an adult-sized minion costume already there! I was so excited, and got that instead--it was much easier than making my own. It was definitely meant to be! Kanyon looked through our boxes of Halloween costumes, and nothing really clicked for him until he saw the clown costume. He'd recently watched Goosebumps 2, and in it was a reference to the creepy clown Pennywise from the movie It. He decided to be a creepy clown, complete with make-up and red hair. I was in disbelief that he'd actually allow me to put face make-up on him, but once he made up his mind about who he wanted to be, he wanted to go all out (and since he couldn't wear a mask to school, make-up was the only solution). We couldn't find any red afro clown wigs, so I just spiked up his hair with gel and used spray-in hair color. He was satisfied with the look.

On Monday the 29th I took him to Rexburg. I had to do some shopping, and had heard that Fat Cats was doing a Trunk or Treat. It was such cold, windy weather that they ended up doing it inside. A bunch of businesses had booths with information, discounts, and candy. We had to wait in a long line, and the amount of candy he got wasn't great, so we decided we won't do it again next year. He wore a mask to this event, since we'd been walking around stores beforehand, and he didn't want to draw attention. He just put the costume on over his regular clothes and put on the mask before waiting in line. He hated wearing the mask because the breathing holes were small and his face was getting sweaty.


He had his first band concert on the evening of Tuesday, October 30. He plays the trombone in the beginning band, and they had one song "This is Halloween" at the concert with the other junior high and high school bands. The band students dressed in costume for the event, and they had a costume contest. It turned out better than I thought it would; it was a fun event, didn't last too long, and the songs that the kids played sounded great! Kanyon got 3rd place in the 6th grade for his costume. This was the first time we put all the make-up on, and it took about 20 minutes to get the hair and make-up all done. He looked awesome! Definitely creepy... in fact, when we arrived at the concert, we saw one of his 6th grade teachers and she wasn't expecting to see a creepy clown, and she totally got freaked out when she saw him!
Make-up and hair round 1 for the band concert

He was in the back center. All I could see of him was his red hair and white forehead!


October 31 was a crazy, fun day! The elementary school kids wore their costumes all day, they had a costume parade walk through the school that afternoon, I had a class party, Kanyon had a junior high dance, and then that night we went to the ward's outdoor chili feed and Trunk or Treat together. There was a ton of people that came to the ward party, and I ran out of candy (I'd bought 8 bags!!). Kanyon was happy, because his friend Jackson came (although it was a little late so I didn't get a photo of them because it was dark by then). They went around the entire parking lot, and he came back with his bucket totally loaded with candy! Halloween for the win! I'm glad it's cool at least for another year! ;)
Make-up and Hair Round 2 for school

My cute class!


Me with my teaching team partner. She went all out
as a fabulously dressed witch this year!


Make-up round 3 for the ward party!
His classmate Boone had a fabulous wig!

No comments: