Sunday, December 16, 2018

Farewell to our Vandal

Ammon left behind our home in Salmon in August, and headed to the University of Idaho in Moscow. 

It felt weird--not gonna lie. I can't believe I'm old enough to have a child who's already moved on to the adult word!

It was especially strange walking into his freshly-packed, practically-empty room. He worked for weeks clearing things out and finally packed it all up into 6 boxes (2 that went with him, 4 that stayed behind in the garage).

*sniff, sniff*

 


Oh, and did I mention he got himself a different car this summer? He decided he didn't want to take the black box car to college, and instead got himself a silver VW Golf from an individual in Utah. It was quite the hullabaloo, and I'd rather not go into all the details...it'll be sufficient to say that both Josh and I were shocked that he spent money on another car right before heading to college where life gets expensive, and we weren't overall very happy with his choice in vehicles, either, but Ammon was, and he's the one who has to live with it! 

Josh and I took turns driving with him during the 7-hour drive to Moscow on Thursday, August 16 (his school started Monday the next week, and he wanted to have enough time to get all set up). Josh and I drove to Missoula together while Ammon drove with his friend Gavin until we reached Missoula. We dropped Gavin off where his car was getting worked on, and then I rode with Ammon to Coeur d'Alene while Josh drove behind. We stopped to eat lunch there, and then Josh rode with Ammon while I drove behind until we got to Moscow. We checked him into his dorm, walked around the area a bit (trying to find where to go--it was a mad house!), and helped him carry his belongings up to his room. We met his roommates, and then headed to Walmart for some food and school supplies. It was insane there! After we got back to his dorm, Josh announced it was time for us to head back for Salmon. I burst into tears from the shock of leaving him so suddenly!!



 
Josh and I drove a different way home to test out the time/length comparison (which, btw, the time is the same either way!). We drove down to the highway south of Moscow that runs east, rather than heading north to the interstate and then east. I had never been on that Lewiston highway before. We stopped at Kooskia for dinner. It was pleasant having a date night with Josh after dropping off our son off at college! We enjoyed the meal in the quaint town, and continued on the highway that was recently re-done. In fact, there was one section that was still under construction. We met a woman on the side of the road with a car full of kids and a flat tire. Josh helped her as much as he could, because of the times that others had helped me with flat tires, but our tire iron wouldn't fit her vehicle. We were in a no-cell zone, which was tricky. We waited with her, until someone from her husband's construction company passed by and stopped to give her better assistance with more tools.

Josh loved the "Sammich" items!

My friend Amanda introduced me to the world
of fries and brown gravy as soul food to a heart
that's sad. This platter also included meat
and cheese. It was divine and just what I needed!
 
I took this photo of the beautiful river while we waited for the pilot car
during the one-lane construction section. It was such a beautiful drive!

We got home around midnight that night. It was a long drive--a long day--and very emotional one for me. I was grateful to have my husband with me the whole time. I'm excited for the possibilities of Ammon's future as a college student! He is part of the PGM program at U of I (Pro Golf Management), and if he completes the 4 year program, he will come out with a business management degree. He has such a passion for golf, and this is the only university in the northwest that has the PGM degree available, so he was happy that the college he liked offered the program he wanted to major in. I think he will do well there, but I'm nervous for him as well! 

It's both satisfying and scary to see your children flee the nest!!!

No comments: