Thursday, August 3, 2017

June 2017 - Week 1

June 5: The younger boys and I were so happy to have summer come, so that we could finally sleep  in! And after our busy weekend in Pocatello, we definitely slept in on our first Monday morning of the summer! That afternoon, I took Kanyon to town to sign him up for the Library Summer Reading Program. We were astounded at how high the water levels were for the Salmon River! The Island Park was flooded in town, and the Shoup Bridge Campground was flooded near the bridge on our way home. 
See the bench?! There's usually a park there!


The campground was flooded in the parking area.
P.S. That's a temporary bridge that was put in this spring as they rip out the
current one-lane bridge and construct a two-lane bridge in its place. 



June 6: Water levels rose even higher today! The twins helped fill sandbags in town for a couple hours (for people who's homes are affected by the flooding) while Kanyon and I did errands in town.

This is the same campground as the previous day's picture, but the water levels
rose to reach the stumps near the entrance! I've never seen water reach that before!



June 7: Josh took me on a motorbike ride down river. We wanted to see how the river looked past North Fork. It was unbelievable! It looked like a lake in spots, the rapids were super high and fast in other areas, and parts of the bank had washed away in others. There was even a house that was getting sucked away, too! It was a beautiful first ride of the summer!


 

We saw these Bighorn Sheep next to the road
on the way to and from down river!


June 8: I got my haircut and colored with Kerry that afternoon, and Josh took a motorbike ride up to Iron Lake. The road was still snow-covered in spots, and although he made it through some of the snow, he was unable to make it all the way in. I went to Bunco that night, and it was so much fun! It's the most people that have come since I've attended--we had 5 tables of ladies!!





June 9: Our Stake Youth Conference was today, in conjunction with a ward from Boise. There was a devotional that afternoon, then a service project at the Sacajawea Center, BBQ dinner at the Guard Station up Williams Creek Road, then an outdoor dance at the Hwy 28 building pavilion. It was a lot of fun--especially the dance! Josh is in the Stake YM, so he helped with the service project, and made dinner at guard station, and I helped drive youth to/from the dinner and went with him to the dance.


I think he's so cute when he laughs!


June 11: After church, I drove down to Idaho Falls to spend the week to attend a college class required by the State of Idaho for certification. I stayed at a hotel with two other ladies from Salmon, Kim and Janna, who were taking the same class. I drove Kanyon down with me, and my parents met me in Idaho Falls to pick him up and take him home with them for the week while I was away. Josh and Ammon work every day, and the twins were busy changing irrigation pipe and helping with hay season with Grandpa T., so having Kanyon go to my parents' home while I was gone was the best choice to provide him with some consistency each day, and a fun opportunity to spend one on one time with my parents as well.
This was the view from our hotel room window! Loved it!

The Falls on the Snake River were fuller than I've ever seen them, too!
It was breathtaking!