Sunday, December 25, 2016

Week 51 (ending with Christmas!)

{December 19 - 25}

I went to the Salmon high school's production of Noises Off again on Monday night. I helped them backstage in between each of the 3 acts. The set has to turn so that during the second act it's backwards, and the third act, it's facing forwards again. The main section was on wheels and just needed to be turned, but the two side pieces had to be lifted, set on casters, turned, and then lifted off and set on the ground. That was the hardest part. It took several people to get it done! I was amazed that the cast did that twice every night for four nights!


I had a horrible day on Tuesday. I've been asking the staff at the District Office to come up with my pay schedule to factor in my 3 months of non-paid student teaching time since September (the superintendents refused to let me use my 2 months of accrued sick leave during that time). I've gone over to the office four times asking about it, and they just kept saying they were working on it. Well, on Tuesday, I got an email FINALLY laying it all out. And in that email, I was also informed that I have to pay nearly $1500 for my insurance during the 3 months that I'm gone student teaching as well. I was shocked. Nobody had ever mentioned anything about the insurance part before! And in addition to that, they informed me that I had to use my own sick leave to pay for the sub who shadowed me for a half day the previous week (although I'd been asking for their approval 3 weeks prior to the day the sub was to come, and they never gave me a straight answer before she came either). I explained to the HR manager how important it was for my students (who have autism), to meet the person who would be with them for the next 3 months, and equally important for my sub to know and be familiar with my students and their unique schedules! I felt like it was all VERY petty of the financial supervisor to notify me the DAY BEFORE we go on Christmas break about all of it (there was even more to the email, but this was the major stuff)! It was like a slap in the face after all I've given to help the district. I haven't taken a single 35 minute lunch all year, because I help a girl who has diabetes during lunch hour; I never get a break to even use the bathroom during the day (except for my 20 minute lunch) because I'm constantly helping my one-on-one students. I've purchased materials that haven't been reimbursed for years, and I've donated so much time and energy to help the district since I was first hired. When I first began attending college 3 years ago, it was so that I could get a job here. But ever since this August, I've been met with such opposition that I'm not sure it's actually in my best interest now to get a job in Salmon. Not only that, but the superintendents were both surprised to find out that my wish was to be placed back in the elementary music program once I earn my degree. Originally, the superintendent who worked at the time I was a music teacher said that I'd have to get a degree if I wanted to get the music job back. So that's exactly what I've done. But since then, we've switched superintendents and principals twice, and I feel hopeless that I'll ever get my dream job back if I stay here in Salmon. I spent time in another school district this fall in order to get my 60 required observation hours done, and I felt so much happier there:  I loved the students, I was welcomed openly by the staff, and the principal was very kind and considerate. When we come back from Christmas Break, I start my student teaching here in Salmon, and due this latest incident, instead of feeling excited for what's to come, I feel like I'm in turmoil and opposition between my current job and what I need to accomplish in the last 3 months of my schooling before I complete my degree in elementary education. I began crying the instant I read the insensitive email. I was so stressed out! I didn't know how I was going to make it through 3 months of non-pay as well as pay nearly $1500 for insurance expenses, too. If I'd known about this since the beginning of this school year (since the inception of when I'd asked the district office for my pay schedule), I would've taken the loss and divided it between my 12 months of pay, but it's far too late to do that now. And because I'm an employee AND a college student doing student teaching, I'm in an awkward position of being unable to fight for myself; I can't create problems with the district right before I need to have a good relationship with them (per my college requirements). Josh took me to lunch, and told me it would all be okay and that we would work it out. He was very kind and supportive, but I didn't know what to do! By the end of the school day, I was emotionally and physically tired from all the mental anguish! I was planning on going to the high school play again that night, but instead, I just went to bed super early.


I weight myself every morning right now (since I've been on this diet), and on Wednesday morning, when I weighed myself, I finally reached the 10-pound mark in my weight loss. Yay! What a nice start to the day. Josh was so kind to deliver a Christmas bouquet to me at school that afternoon. The arrangement was beautiful and it so thoughtful of him! It brought a smile to my face! Kanyon went ice skating with the 4th grade that afternoon, and since the skating rink is across the street from the Developmental Preschool, I was actually able to go visit his class during their field trip that afternoon while my student was having his scheduled therapy. I was SO grateful! It was the best part of my day! Kanyon struggled skating on the borrowed figure skates, but he was having fun with classmates, for which I'm so grateful! And he didn't give up trying, either! I stayed for about 45 minutes watching him and the other students, and I loved every minute of it! When we got home after school, I learned that Micah received the Student of the Month for 7th grade boys that day at his assembly, too! A fourth awesome bonus that day! Kanyon had scout pack meeting that night, and afterwards, he went to play in the gym, but I didn't know. I was talking to another mom, and he disappeared. Scouts was over, so I figured he'd gone back to the car in the parking lot (he does that sometimes), so I went out to check the car, but he wasn't there. I tried to go back inside, but the church was locked. It was negative ten degrees, and I sat in the car and waited for 15 minutes before someone else came out the door so that I could finally go in and find him! It was SO frustrating! I furiously explained to him (once again!) about the importance of always telling me where he's going before he goes somewhere! He didn't appreciate being yelled at, but I tried to convey to him the worry that I felt at not knowing where he was and the inability and helplessness that I'd experienced waiting to find out! Afterward, he helped me deliver the 12 Days of Christmas gift for the day, and I took him shopping for his brother's Christmas gift before we went home for the night.
The pretty bouquet from Josh


He's even smiling when he's down!

I love this photo of Matthew and Kanyon!


He found it was much easier to push a cone or a chair
while trying to skate. It really helped his balance. 

Taking a break while Wyatt pushes him around

Good job, Micah!


School got out at 2:00 on Thursday, a 2-hour early release. Whenever we have a delayed start, or an early release, Kindergarten is cancelled for the day, and the afternoon preschool was cancelled that day as well. Since I had to use 4-hours of my sick leave to pay for the sub that shadowed me the previous week, I decided to use it on this day since I wouldn't have any students anyway. Ammon had a basketball game at South Fremont later that day, so I decided to go shopping in Idaho Falls for the day, and then head to his games that afternoon/evening. None of the other boys wanted to come with me due to their class parties that day, so after doing some errands at the schools that morning, I left town by myself around 9am. I stopped at Terreton Elementary on my way to Idaho Falls, and had a wonderful visit for a half hour with the 5th grade teacher that I observed this fall, and some of the students there. It always makes me feel uplifted and rejuvenated to stop by and see them! I got a lot of shopping done in Idaho Falls that I'd been meaning to do for weeks but hadn't had the chance to: I finally got the rest of the items needed for my neighborhood gifts, got some of the boys' gift items that we hadn't picked up yet, and shopped for upcoming Christmas and New Years Parties, too. Josh drove Ammon's bus to South Fremont, and when I was done shopping, I drove to the games and sat by him as we watched them together. I missed the beginning of the JV game, but was able to watch the last half of the boys' JV game, the girls varsity game, and the boys varsity game as well. Ammon was disappointed with the JV game, because he got hurt in the first half and couldn't play more, but he had a good break during the girls varsity game, and he played well for the time he played in the Varsity game. Ultimately, their team lost, there was some bad calls, and one of the JV boys got a concussion. But, on the upside, the halftime entertainments with the percussion band were impressive!

He looked so handsome dressed up!
I loved his matching orange pants!





On Friday,  I finally finished making the neighborhood friend gifts, and the boys helped me deliver them. I gave away pints of freezer raspberry jam (that I'd canned this summer) with a heart-shaped cookie cutter; the label read "We hope your Christmas is JAM-packed with LOVE!". Kanyon helped me deliver some of the gifts to neighbors around the loop where we live, while the twins and Josh  shoveled snow off the calving shed. Grandpa asked them to help him after he heard about one of the fairground's buildings caving in with all the recent snow and ice we've received lately, and he didn't want that to happen to our farm buildings, too. Jonah helped me deliver the rest of the gifts to our friends that live in town, and I took him shopping for his brother's Christmas gift afterward. Josh and I took Kanyon on his monthly date later that afternoon; we went to the matinee showing of the movie "Sing" at the theater. It was cute and the music was terrific, although I admit I fell asleep for a little part of it because I was super tired after getting home at 1:00am the previous night after driving back from the ball game! Jonah and Micah came with us; they paid to go see "Rogue" while we were at the theater.

Kanyon's movie choice for date night


Josh and I wrapped gifts practically all afternoon on Saturday. We had been waiting for some presents to arrive in the mail before starting the task, but after the mailman delivered the day's post, and the items STILL weren't in it, we decided to just start wrapping without them. Josh fed the calves for Grandpa that morning and evening, because Grandpa and Grandma went to Montana for Christmas. We waited for him to come back that evening, and then we went to we deliver our final 12 Days of Christmas gift together and then headed to the Linger's for their annual Christmas Eve party. We arrived after 6:00, and had such a wonderful time eating, talking, laughing, and playing games with friends all night. The women even won two of the games this year: Buzz Word and the 3-Round Guessing Game! That's never happened (the men ALWAYS win), and it was SOO awesome (despite the men being poor sports about it)! My favorite part of Buzz Word was when Bishop accidentally pronounced Hanukkah as "Huh-noo-kuh". It was hilarious! We also played Telestrations, and had such a good laugh! Josh doesn't like that game, but he even enjoyed it with our company that night! We left at midnight, and it was snowing outside! When we got home, the boys opened their pajama gifts, and we all headed to bed!
There's always so much good food and a great variety of it, too!

L-R: the Oliversons, Hobbs, Tolmans, Williams, Jones, and Lingers

playing Buzz Word

These two ended up screwing up several rounds of
Telestrations, but it was hilarious all the same!

The Monopoly game going on in Hailey's Room

The X-Box playing going on downstairs in Ella's Room.
There were also kids playing in Isaac's Room and the downstairs Family Room.

Our Christmas Tree surrounded by all the newly-wrapped
gifts! There wasn't room for them all!

Kanyon opening up his new Minions pajamas. He got what he was hoping for!

Micah seeing his new pajamas for the first time

Jonah tiredly unraveling his new PJ's

Ammon unwrapping his new golf pajama bottoms

I admired the soft glow of the Christmas Tree and its
twinkling blue lights before I retired to bed that night!


On Christmas morning {Sunday}, we waited for Josh to come back from feeding Grandpa's calves, then we opened stockings and Santa gifts first. It didn't take long, so then we took turns opening up the wrapped gifts; the boys started with the ones that their brother (who'd drawn their name) had given them. It's a fun tradition for them to do this now! It took us about an hour to open everything under the tree; we like to take our time and do it all one at a time, rotating turns with who starts the round. Josh and I don't always participate in each round, because we usually don't give gifts to each other, but this year, I gave him a king sized fleece blanket for the bed and he gave me some nice snow boots! We ate a quick breakfast afterward and got ready for church. It was just a one-hour Sacrament meeting with the other ward at 10am; it was a nice program with contributions from both wards. When we came home, the boys organized their new gifts for photo taking, and put some of their new things away. Ammon went to Hannah's house for the evening, and the Judy family came over for dinner, games, movie, and fireworks. We first opened Christmas Crackers that the Whall family brought to us in November, which was so fun! Then we ate ham that Josh cooked, mashed potatoes, rolls, corn, orange salad, and two delicious desserts that Jen brought. We played the game "Things", watched the neighbor's fireworks from the field above our house, and watched the movie The Christmas Story part-way through before they left. It was a wonderful Christmas at home!
Santa's gifts were pretty basic this year!

The boys wearing their new pajamas!
(p.s. Kanyon put his church shirt on under his pajama top
in order to save time getting ready for church after gifts)

Kanyon checking out the items in his stocking

The older three boys inspecting their stockings and Santa gifts. 

Josh and I usually fill each other's stockings for our Christmas gift to each other.
We always get each other scratch tickets. I also got him some of his favorite snacks
this year: summer sausage, chocolate gummy bears, lil smokies, & cheese curds

Ammon opening his gift from Kanyon. Kanyon gave him a nice water bottle
(Ammon keeps losing his) and some bags of chocolate.

Jonah unwrapping his gift from Ammon. Ammon got him this cool new
hoodie with designs on the sleeves and pocket, in Salmon Savage colors.

Kanyon unwrapping the gift from Micah. He gave him the movie "Minions".
Kanyon falls asleep to a DVD every night, and usually watches the same movie
every night for a year or so. He needed something new to replace "Despicable Me 2"
and has watched this movie every night since Christmas!

Micah opening his gift from Jonah. Jonah gave him bright orange warming gloves,
a giant bag of swedish fish, and a small package of kit kats. 

Kanyon made me this Hanukkah ornament at school. When he was explaining
the decorations of the menorah and the Jewish star, I said "ohhh, it's all about
'huh-noo-kuh'!" Josh and I got a chuckle out of referencing what Bishop
had said the previous night during a game! 

The 3 older boys dressed in their new ties for Christmas!
Kanyon decided to change out of the orange-colored
shirt he'd worn under his pajamas earlier, into this
Christmas-colored shirt (after much persuasion).

Since church was with the other ward, Hannah got to sit by us at church, too!

Jonah with his new gifts

Ammon and his Christmas gifts

Micah with the new gifts from Christmas

Kanyon and his pile of presents

I was very spoiled this year: I received many gifts from friends and students!
I was especially blown away with the generosity of Teddy Sue and the Simmons
family.  The new wooden bowl with wooden tongs and the glass jar etched with
the words "Kala's Treats" that was filled with fruit both made me tear up.
Ammon even got me soft, warm slippers and pretty turquoise earrings! Josh
filled my stocking with chocolate oranges & avocados--since I'm still on a diet! 

Josh got every single kind of sparkling cider available! I strayed from the diet to
try them; they were so good! The Whall's got a package of 12 Christmas Crackers
this year, which was perfect because we had 6 additional guests for dinner!

Opening our Christmas Crackers right before dinner. It was so fun and festive!

No comments: