Sunday, July 24, 2016

Week 29

{July 18-24}

On Monday, after weeding the pumpkins, Kanyon helped me pick raspberries. I wanted to make a jam using just the golden raspberries (last time we picked and combined the red and golden together), so we spent quite a bit of time in the raspberry patch just focused on getting enough of the golden ones so that it would be possible. Kanyon is not a good pumpkin-weeder, but he is a fabulous raspberry-picker! Since he's shorter, he often finds several of the raspberries that are hiding under leaves! We just barely got enough raspberries to make jam!! I was so excited! I went to the store to get some pectin, and made jam that afternoon. Ammon, Jonah, and Micah went to summer running that evening, and Josh took me on a motorcycle ride to Savage Grill to get shakes when they were gone. When they got home from running practice, we had Family Home Evening. We read out of Matthew (since we finished the Pearl of Great Price this spring, we've started reading the Gospels in the New Testament) and talked about some of Jesus' miracles. We played Golf with playing cards and had rice crispie treats (made by Kanyon when he visited Grandma's house) and hazelnut cookies (from Aunt Tabbi) for dessert.

We have 13 full rows of 7 plants, and one partial row of 5.
There's mini, blue, connecticut field, and big mac pumpkins.
They are growing fabulously this year, and we've been diligent about weeding
them daily Monday-Friday (much to Kanyon's dismay)!


I blogged most of the day on Tuesday. It's hard to get caught up! Especially when our internet is SUPER slow, and uploading photos bogs the whole thing down (nobody else can do anything on the internet when I'm uploading pictures and it makes everyone mad, so I have to time it just right); it takes me about 2 hours just to upload 20 photos! I didn't blog at all in June or the first two weeks in July, and trying to catch up 6 weeks' worth takes time. I'm getting closer to being caught up now, though--I'm currently about 3 weeks behind schedule (I'm writing this the first week in August, btw). That night, my college mentor called and I officially completed my semester on task--I completed 18 credits, did my resume and application paperwork for preclinicals and demonstration teaching, and passed the Praxis II test for Elementary Educators. Whew! I went to Jen Judy's house after I got off the phone with my mentor, and we watched the movie Danny Deck Chair. Since we ran the 5K together at the beginning of June, we've had pretty regular movie night dates at her house. We've also watched Run Fat Boy Run (so funny!), Bandits, and Waking Ned Divine over the past few weeks.


Josh worked for a few hours on Wednesday morning, and then headed up in the truck and trailer to Meadow Lake. He's been really stressed out lately, and he needed to get away. He'd been wanting to go hiking this summer and hadn't had a chance to yet, so this was the perfect opportunity. We'd already been planning on going camping with the Hobbs family at Meadow Lake the coming weekend, but he was worried about there not being a spot if we left on Friday morning (like we'd originally planned), so he decided to go early and get a spot and also do some hiking while there. The kids and I would head up a different day in the suburban pulling the flatbed trailer loaded with the motorcycles and 4-wheeler. It's the first time we've ever left at separate times and in separate vehicles to go camping. Ammon worked at the golf course, Kanyon and I weeded the pumpkins, the twins changed irrigation pipe, and I watered the garden and flowers. I took the 3 younger boys to kids free lunch at the library, then the twins left with their friend Peyton to go hang out at his house for a few hours while I read at the Summer Reading Program. After I read, the kids did origami and yoga, and then I took Kanyon to his job at the golf course of picking the driving range. It was SO hot--over 90 degrees. I picked up the twins from Peyton's house, and they helped us finish the job, too. I drove them back in for summer running that evening, and Ammon met us there after hanging out with his friends and he drove them back home. Kanyon helped me pick raspberries from the garden again (mostly red this time), and when the boys got home, they helped me load the 4-wheeler and motorcycles onto the trailer. I've never done it without Josh before, and it was quite an adventure. I couldn't get some of the tie downs to work right, so Uncle Tim came to the rescue and we got the job done just as it was getting too dark to see. While we were all being busy all day, Josh was happily spending time alone at Meadow Lake. He'd gotten there shortly after a scout troop did that took up several spots in the campground, but he was able to reserve a nice double spot for us. He read an entire book, relaxed and took a nap, and went on a hike (the trailhead was right by the lake). He enjoyed his day immensely, and I'm so glad--he needed it!
Pretty wildflowers along his hike--Indian Paintbrush are some of his favorites

There's 2 bridges that cross the creek on the hike

Some cool rock formations along the ridge

It always amazes me to see plants growing out of rocks!

He found a patch of snow along the ridge...


...so of course he made his trademark snowman!


Meadow Lake is in the shade of the mountain in the shape of a heart

Looking out east over the valley below

He waited for the sun to set before hiking back

I love this photo of the setting sun above the mountain range

The sun gave the mountains a golden glow


I like how the golden sky seems to reflect off the golden flowers
growing at the top of the mountain


Thursday was another busy day for us: Kanyon & I weeded the pumpkins, the twins weeded the corn, Kanyon mowed our lawn, Jonah & Micah changed pipe and mowed Grandma's lawn, Ammon worked and mowed lawns all day, and I taught a piano lesson. Then we made a meal schedule for camping, a list of food we needed, went shopping at the grocery store, packed up the food into coolers and bags (since Josh already had the trailer with him), packed our bags, packed up the suburban, got gas, re-tied down Ammon's bike on the trailer, and headed to Meadow Lake. Ammon didn't come with us because he had to work the following day again and he was also planning on playing in a golf tournament at the Salmon Golf Course on Saturday. Josh spent the day hiking at Diamond Peak (near Lone Pine). It's the highest peak in Lemhi County, and the fourth highest peak in Idaho. He'd been wanting to hike it for some time, and he was able to do it in 5.5 hours--although he'd heard it would take about 8. It was pretty high altitude, and he had a hard time breathing once he got to the top, but he was ecstatic that he finally made it, especially after climbing up a steep rocky terrain that took him a while to get past because for every 3 steps he took, he only gained one step because the rocks were continually sliding him back. We left later that afternoon than anticipated to head to Meadow Lake (shopping and packing took forever!), which worked out alright because Josh was able to meet us at Gilmore on the way back from his hike, and he fixed our tie-down job (Ammon's bike kept leaning over) and he drove the suburban with the loaded trailer up the narrow, winding road that leads to the lake while I drove his truck. It was great to see Josh, and he was happy to see us too! I could tell that the time away did him a lot of good! We worked to unload the suburban, packed the food into the trailer, unloaded our bags, and then we ate dinner, played card games, and relaxed at the camp site before bed.
Kanyon doing yoga after mowing!

Our transparent apple tree only grows produce
every OTHER year, and this is its year off,
but we've found 12 apples growing on it this
year which was a fun surprise! And nearly
half the apples were growing in this single
bunch. Kanyon and I both had one after
mowing the lawn. They were refreshing!

Josh at the top of Diamond Peak


The view looking east from the top

The view looking north from the top

the view looking west into the Pahsimeroi Valley

The view looking south

Such a pretty location to camp at!


Friday was relaxing--we all needed it! Josh was sore from his previous two days of hiking, and his feet were blistering, and the boys and I were happy to have a break from chores! We tried out the new paddle board that Josh got us in May. It's a bit narrower than the Forsgren's one we used last year, so it was hard for Josh and I to stand on it while balancing, but it worked out great for the kids. Even Kanyon tried it! He thought he could cross the lake, but every time he went out, the wind would blow, and he would get super angry that the waves were taking him where he didn't want to go, and he would yell and throw fits on the lake, and we were so worried that he would end up falling in (but thankfully he didn't!). I tried out my new orange half-tube that everyone thought I was dumb for purchasing. I love it! The kids all took turns riding the paddle board and floating in tubes for several hours. It was lovely! We took a break at lunch, and played Phase 10 for a bit, then went out on the lake again, but it was colder in the afternoon due to the wind. The Hobbs family arrived that afternoon, and they went fishing while we were floating on the lake. After dinner, we ate banana boats, brownies, and smores! It was a very filling night for our tummies! Just as Josh was making a fire for the night, I headed down to Gilmore in the suburban to access the internet on my phone in order to pay a bill. It was the last payment on my stupid root canal that I had done last summer, and I'd totally forgotten to pay it the day before as we were getting ready to leave (although I reminded myself to do it like 5 times). It was the due date, and I did NOT want to get charged an extra fee on my FINAL payment, so driving down the mountain and spending 45 minutes away from camp was well worth it. Plus, I was able to call and talk to Ammon while I was in cell service range, so that was nice, too. When I got back to the campsite, there was an enormous log that David had found by his campsite that he'd placed on top of our fire pit. The thing was HUGE! I couldn't believe he'd carried it up from his campsite to put on our fire. That night, the kids played around while Josh and I went to the Hobbs' trailer to play Rook with David and Gina. It was a fun game, and I lost by a huge margin! Kendra, the scorekeeper, kept laughing as she read my score after every round because it was truly so pitiful! We went to bed pretty late that night, after a fantastic day.
Josh trying out the new paddle board for the first time--we both
feel better on it kneeling than standing. 

I love my new float tube--my feet are in the water, rather
than being up in the air like they would be on a full tube

Jonah

Micah

Kanyon

Kanyon kept playing "bumper boats" with me as I was tubing.
He liked to lay tummy-down on his tube so that he could paddle better with his arms

Jonah sitting on one end of the tube with his feet in the middle

Micah sitting in the middle of the tube, using the back of his arms to paddle

What a relaxing morning on the lake!

Kanyon hated paddleboarding on the waves created by the wind!

It was cold later that afternoon, but that didn't deter Micah--
he just wore his hoodie on the lake instead!

Eating Banana Boats with ice cream for dessert. It was so delicious!
The Hobbs family had never eaten them before, and since I'd forgotten to buy
spray cool whip to go on top of them, we used ice cream instead.
It was even better that way!

Looking north from my spot by the highway to pay my bill--it looked
like a fire was somewhere nearby with all the red haze at the sunset. 

David apparently likes to go big when it comes to campfires--
except for the surprising fact that he dislikes campfire smoke! 


On Saturday morning after breakfast, we all headed for a hike to the Lemhi Divide. I'd never made it all the way to the top before, because the last time we went on that hike, Kanyon was little and I remember turning around with him after the pond. It was harder than I'd anticipated, but it was nice to be with the Hobbs family. The boys made it to the top long before us. We stopped for a snack before heading back, but Josh, Jonah, Micah, and Aiden decided to go further along the ridge--where Josh had gone hiking 3 days before. When Kanyon and I made it back to the campground with the rest of the Hobbs, we decided to go spend time on the lake again to cool off. Kendra tried the paddle board (she was good and really liked it), I tubed in my orange tube again, and Kanyon and Trevyn played in the other tubes for a while. Gina tried the paddle board for just a hot minute, and then she and David went to go make lunch and start packing up their campsite. The 3 boys returned from their elongated hike about an hour after us. They said they ran down the mountainside trail in 15 minutes! They left Josh in the dust apparently ;). They came out and alternated going on the paddle board, too. We had a late lunch, and then a big group of us played Rook before the Hobbs family left to go home. Kanyon was bored after they left. We didn't have enough room to bring bikes with us like usual, and he loved having the Hobbs' kids bikes to ride on whenever he got bored while they were there. So after they left, he wasn't sure what to do. He didn't want to get wet again, and he didn't want to ride the paddle board again after the previous day's drama on it. The twins wanted to paddle board, so I had Kanyon come down and sit by me and watch them for a while. Then he walked around the lake to where they were, and challenged them to beat him back to where I was--he ran on the ground, and they paddled fast. He barely won! Around dinner time, I had the bright idea to use our frisbees and have a disc golf competition (it totally occupied Kanyon so that he wasn't "bored" anymore). We made up different courses, and the boys competed against each other to get the better score. Ammon arrived at camp just after dinner, when we were eating Josh's delicious raspberry dump cake cooked in the dutch oven. Ammon played frisbee with the other boys for a while, making up more "holes" as they went along. When they got bored with that, we played Phase 10 again--but this time it lasted FOREVER!!! We had to finish the game inside the trailer because it got dark outside!
Heading out on the hike

A view of Meadow Lake just as the trail turns into the meadow.



I love this creek with the wildflowers growing so close

Kanyon at the pond--what a serene place


This old fallen tree really spoke to me

The beginning of the ascent up the mountain

It got even worse after that--so steep, hot, and lots of crossbacks!

I was always the last one up the steep trail.
One time, I walked up to a shady spot and saw this
view...it made my heart giddy to see my handsome man
waiting for me!! What a guy!


A view of Meadow Lake from a distance! It looks like a heart from this viewpoint.

Made it to the top of the trail! The sign says "Lemhi Divide"

We did it!

Pretty view looking west



On our way back down (it was much faster going down than up, btw).
This is the beginning of the creek that comes from the pond. So pretty!

I'm not sure why I loved this view in the creek so much!
It was mesmerizing.

The boys made it to a cool jagged-rock peak on their extended hike!

They played in the snow patch 

Micah even made a snow angel!

This picture makes me simultaneously want to sing "I'm on top of the world" AND
"the hills are alive with the sound of music". I can't decide which is more appropriate!
Playing Rook with the kids this time


Jonah and Micah were in the bay to the southeast when Kanyon
challenged them to a race! 

I love this picture of them working together, trying to beat Kanyon back to where I was!


Jonah and Kanyon playing frisbee golf

Ammon and Micah playing frisbee golf one of the new holes they created

Playing the longest game of Phase 10 ever!


On Sunday morning after breakfast, we packed up and left the campground. It was the first time we've ever gone camping for more than 2 nights. Usually, we camp for about 24 hours, and once a year we go for 2 nights, but NEVER have we gone 3 or more! Josh stayed 4 nights, and the 3 younger boys and I stayed 3. It was actually quite nice, and it made up for the lack of not camping at all yet this summer. When we got to the highway, we headed south a few miles until we got the trailhead for Hahn Townsite and Spring Mountain Canyon. We'd never gone on the trail before, but had been curious to know where it led to. The road was WAY worse than we'd anticipated--so rocky and uneven. We started off with Ammon's motorcycle having a flat tire. Josh put some fix-a-flat in it, but it didn't fill up completely. We didn't go far before Jonah's bike completely died--apparently the oil leak burned up the engine. So he left his bike there and rode with Josh on his motorcycle after that, because I had Kanyon and the cooler on the 4-wheeler with me. We finally stopped after several miles to take a rest and eat lunch, but Josh and Jonah were nowhere to be found. So I unloaded the cooler, checked out the buildings to make sure nobody was there, and left the kids there while I went back to look for Josh. They were about a half mile back. They'd stopped because Josh's radiator hose had blown. I told him we'd stopped only a half mile away, so he decided to ride a bit further on it, and we found some water in one of the cabins to refill his tank with. We ate lunch, and wandered around exploring the 3 old cabins before heading back. On the way back, Micah had an accident--his motorbike hit a rock and started careening off the edge, so he bailed. Thankfully he was okay. Josh and Ammon worked together to bring the motorbike back up to the road from the steep hillside. When we got to Jonah's bike, he just put it in neutral and rode it the rest of the way back. It was quite an adventure--and not at all in the way that we had expected it to be! We loaded the 4 wheeler and motorcycles back up, and headed home to Salmon in our 3 vehicles! When we got home, we unloaded everything (the trailer, the ATV's, the truck, the suburban), and got to work cleaning the house and cooking dinner for the Simmons family who were joining us at 6:00. It was a stressful couple of hours, but we surprisingly got it all done. We cooked hamburgers (Tabbi got us some veggie burgers to cook for Jim, their dad, because he's vegan), I made both a raspberry salad and a veggie salad, and we also ate sliced watermelon and corn on the cob, and they brought brownies for dessert. They brought 4 extra grandkids in addition to their 3 youngest children that still live at home. They just moved to Salmon this summer, and their daughter Hannah and Ammon have become the best of buds. It was nice to meet them all. The kids played outside for hours and hours--they all loved the yard and ditch. When they left after 9:00, we were all exhausted from our long ATV trip, all the driving, cleaning, cooking, and entertaining!
Stopping for lunch

One of the old cabins we looked at

On the drive home, I snapped a pic from a distance of the mountain we'd hiked

There were 11 kids at dinner!!!

No comments: