Sunday, July 17, 2016

Week 28

{July 11-17}

Monday began the week of quiet around here, with Kanyon being gone to Grandma and Grandpa's house. When Ammon got home from working, I had the boys help me sort out our bikes in Grandpa's shop; we fixed some (which took a while), brought most of them up to put in the new bike rack (old crib sides I'd gotten the week before from a woman in town) behind my car in our new carport, and took the rest to the dump. I made my first batch ever of raspberry freezer jam from raspberries we picked in our garden--we've never had enough to make into jam before this year! When the boys went to summer running that night, Josh took me on a motorcycle ride to Tower Creek. I honestly didn't even know that road existed until last month! It was an awesome ride! The rock formations in the side of the hill are so cool! For Family Home Evening, Ammon gave us the lesson and we played Ticket to Ride. Josh won--but after he did, and we were putting it away, we found some extra trains in the box and realized he hadn't truly "won" since there were game pieces left, but we let it slide ;).
The bikes in their new home at our place instead of Grandpa's.
The crib rails work perfectly and were much easier than building a bike rack!

Making freezer jam from red & golden raspberries together. 



On the tops of the rock formations were rock caps. Josh thought the one
on the left resembled a rooster on top!


Tuesday was cold and rainy. I worked on completing a college seminar that afternoon. Jonah and Micah got their bags packed for scout camp the following day. And after months of reading, both boys were now done reading all 7 of the Harry Potter books! (Jonah actually finished about 2 weeks before Micah). We are looking forward to the Harry Potter movie marathon in November--we'll watch it as we drive to Disneyland, and I also really want to take the boys to Universal Studios to see the Harry Potter World while we're in Southern California as a reward for reading them all, too!


Wednesday started off a bit chilly like the previous day. The twins met at the church that morning to head up to Wallace Lake with 15 other boys for their scout camp for a few days. I worked on paperwork for my practicum this fall and student teaching in January--there were several forms that had to be filled out by myself and signed by local administration, so I went into the District Office to talk to administrators and get some information and signatures. I went to lunch with Hailey at the Bistro, and then read to kids at the Library for their Summer Reading Program. Josh took me on a motorcycle ride that afternoon to the Amish Store. We got some yummy cheeses and mixes, and got ourselves a Fry Pie too (strawberry rhubarb is my fave!). We got back just in time for me to head to Yoga with Gina. I hadn't gone in a while--and I usually prefer to go in the winter rather than the summer, but it was nice to go with her and I enjoyed the exercise. When I got home, Josh was gone to his monthly golf course meeting, so I decided to prune the bushes that were out of control on the north side of the house. Except, the hedge trimmer died (even though I'd been charging it all day), so I had to finish the job pruning it by hand, so I only ended up getting one bush done by the time Josh got home. I thought he would be so proud of the job I did, but all he said was "wow" in a sarcastic tone because he thought I'd pruned it too small. So he got the other hedge trimmers, and did the second bush himself. Then I said "they don't look the same as each other", which made him mad, and he ignored me the rest of the night! It was truly a ridiculous argument. 
You can definitely see how cool the morning
was from this view at the golf course. 


All packed up and ready to head to scout camp!


I forgot to do a before and after shot--this is after I pruned the one bush
on the left before Josh cut the bush on the right. 


On Thursday, I finished my college seminar class and all the paperwork necessary to begin my practicum in the fall! What a good feeling! Josh (who was still not really talking to me, btw) went on a motorcycle ride to visit the twins at Wallace Lake that evening. They were building covers to sleep under that night to fulfill a requirement for a merit badge. Josh ate dessert with the boys before heading back. He got home just as I was leaving to head to Jackson's house to watch a movie with Darcy. It had been too quiet around the house all day and I desperately needed some girl time!
Stopping for a view overlooking Salmon Valley

Pretty view of UP Lake

Jonah and Nathan in their shelter

Micah and Erik took a break from constructing their shelter for a pic

Micah putting his sleeping gear under the completed cover




On Friday, I had a hair appointment with Kerry. She re-colored my bangs and gave me a trim. I always feel better after having my hair done! I worked on blogging all afternoon in my quiet house that I had to myself. Josh and I went to the Elders Quorum party in the backyard that evening. The prime rib dinner was delicious, but the party overall was much less attended than usual, there was way less food than normal, and there wasn't the usual rope swinging over the ditch, either. I enjoyed the company that came; it was just a different feel than previous years. Finally after the party, Josh and I began really talking again. Thank goodness! I've been looking forward to the day when Josh and I would be together after the children were grown and gone, but after this week, I was seriously doubting that hopeful wish. All the kids were gone, and he was mad at me, and it was a very lonely and boring couple of days!


Saturday was a day I'd been looking forward to for months. Josh and I want to take each of our kids to a concert when they're 16 (since neither of us went to one until we were adults). So about 6 months ago, Josh purchased 2 tickets for 21 Pilots (Ammon's favorite group) to take Ammon to the concert in Salt Lake. A couple of months ago, my friend from High School announced that he was in the play "Big River" at the Hale Theatre in Utah, and I've wanted to go to plays at that theatre ever since another friend of mine from high school became their production designer several years ago. I immediately got online to purchase tickets and asked my sister if she wanted to come, too. She agreed and said her husband would as well. I especially love the play "Big River". My sister Tawna and I both went to it with the Hardman girls when it was at Stage Stop while we were teenagers. It was the only play I went to multiple times--I think I went 3 or 4 times because I loved it so much. I remember being so enthralled with the actors who played Big Jim and Huck Finn, and I loved the music and the story. I was SO excited at the prospect of seeing it again (I haven't seen it since I was a teenager) AT the Hale WITH someone I knew in it! And it was a fun surprise to find out that the man who directed it was the same guy who played Huck Finn at the StageStop production of it so long ago!! Josh, Ammon, and I left around 10 that morning to head to Salt Lake. It had been a hectic morning--I'd woken up early to make and cook a dessert for a funeral that morning, I'd watered the pumpkins, packed my bags, and written a note for the twins. Jonah and Micah didn't get home until after 11, so I wasn't able to see them before we left. When we got to Salt Lake, we went to Tawna & Bryce's house in Daybreak first and Tabbi arrived there about the same time we did. Then we all went to dinner at R&R BBQ. We'd never been there before but it was SOOO tasty. I got their ribs, and I really liked the fried hushpuppies. From there, Josh and Ammon left to go to the concert at the Vivint Arena, and I went with Tawna and Bryce to the Hale to see the play. We all had a fantastic time (except I had the burps the whole time from being over full from the restaurant, and they smelled like meat. Sorry Tawna!). Josh and Ammon both loved the concert, especially the magic part where one of the guys disappeared under a curtain as he was playing the piano and reappeared in the stands. I loved experiencing the theater in the round again, and was amazed how how they built the stage; it was lifted up at one point and under it was water that they actually rafted on. I'd never seen anything like it before, and when they sang "River in the Rain", there was actually rain falling on them as they sang on the river. It was remarkable! What was even more cool was that TWO more of my high school friends were watching the same play on the same night! I was ecstatic to see them there!! When the concert/play was over, we met back at Tawna & Bryce's place (we spent the night there), and talked and laughed until after 1:00am.

Josh even got 21 Pilots shirts for them to wear to the event!

Ammon's first concert!!





No photography was allowed during the play, so at intermission, I took
photos of the stage as they were dropping it back down over the water again. 

John Roring, me, and Heather Crandall

Stephanie Kearl, John (he played the "Duke), and myself.
Unfortunately, Kacey  Udy wasn't working that night--but I did see his wife!


On Sunday morning, we slept in and lazily got ready for the day. We met up with Tabbi for brunch at a nearby restaurant. It was super busy and we had to wait a while, and we finally got seated outside, but then it got hot where we were and our waiter had too many tables so the service wasn't the best. We left Salt Lake much later than we'd anticipated as a result--about 2 hours later! We stopped in Tremonton to visit with my parents and pick up Kanyon (and Josh took a much-needed nap; staying up late and being behind schedule didn't suit him, and he was SUPER ornery in the car ride from Salt Lake to Tremonton). Kanyon had had a great time that week. He played wii to his heart's content, completed a puzzle, played with a babysitter, spent time with cousins, went to see the movie "Secret Life of Pets", played chess with Grandpa, and read books with Grandma. He'd enjoyed his one-on-one time there! We drove home, and the two boys and I all slept off and on (good thing Josh had just gotten a nap in while we stopped since he drove the whole time). It was nice to see the twins again and be reunited as a whole family again once we arrived in Salmon.
Tawna and Bryce have a beautiful home worthy of a spread in a Crate & Barrel catalog

Bryce & Tawna, while waiting for a seat at the restaurant

Tabbi brought us some goodies to take home from Trader Joe's

at "Church of Brunch" together

Kanyon with Grandma and Grandpa. Grandma read four of those "Haunted
Library" books to him during his visit. 


No comments: