Thursday, January 7, 2016

Up Part Ridge and a Pine Tree

Our Annual Christmas Tree excursion was on the afternoon of Sunday, December 6. Josh and I both wanted to get a pine tree this year instead of a fir tree, so that meant we needed to go to a different spot to pick one out since our usual spots (bottom of Williams Lake Rd and up Perreau Creek) only have fir trees. Josh wanted to try going further up the mountain above Williams Lake for one, and I thought it sounded like a great idea. We put on the winter clothes and boots, got a saw, and headed out in the 4WD truck, with the dog in tow too. The higher we got, the worse the roads were, and finally when we reached an un-driven, un-plowed, steep tertain, we just decided to park in the middle of the white-covered dirt road and hike up the mountainside. The boys and the dog seemed to shoot straight up like rockets. Josh was a little slower, as he was checking out every pine tree along his way. I was even slower, because my snow boots suck and I kept sliding as I was hiking up the steep snow. I finally stopped by the first tree Josh had looked at on his way. From where I stood, I could still see him above me, so when he asked for my opinion on certain trees, I was able to tell him what I thought the trees looked like from a distance, but I didn't have to keep climbing up! The boys were even higher than Josh--I couldn't see them from where I was, but I could hear them! When he narrowed his choice to two trees, he called for the boys, and they came down to his site and they all decided on the best one to cut down. 
This was my stopping place partway up the ridge. Josh
is visible just to the left of one of the branches on this tree.

Josh & the boys discussing which of the two trees they think is better.

They picked one, and Josh is starting to cut it down. I love this picture of my boys!
From where I was, this was my view of the surrounding area 

Our freshly-cut Christmas tree!

Josh bringing the tree back down the mountain side

Tiki happiily followed the boys through the deep snow.

Ammon found a piece of bark that resembled the Thor hammer!


Jonah sliding down the mountain face-first.

Micah followed in his brother's tracks

Kanyon and Ammon battled with their large pieces of bark.
It looked like they were sword-fighting!


Finally everyone (but me) made it to down to the truck!!

I was glad I didn't go any higher up the hill, because going
back down to the truck (seen above my shoulder) seemed like
such a long distance away!!

What a great picture--of the boys with our new tree, and also the nearby
mountains reflecting the light from the setting sun. 

We brought the tree in the house that night. Josh and the boys picked out a great tree, and we all loved it! The following night (Monday), Josh and the 3 younger boys decorated it for Family Home Evening as I worked on a college class assignment and Ammon was at basketball practice. Josh put the red lights on the tree, and the boys picked silver, gold, clear, and pink ornaments. They worked together, and placed the ornaments equally across the tree. I love that they're old enough to do this job themselves. I was so pleased with the final product!


I loved the red glow that the tree produced every night!

I was so busy and stressed this year, that I hardly did any decorating at all. I watered the tree every day, though, which is more than I've done in years past! It usually dries up a week before Christmas because I forget to water it, but I was very faithful this year. I loved having a pine tree--the shape is fuller, it has longer needles, and it seems to handle heavier ornaments better than fir trees do. As far as decorations go, I only set out one nativity scene, the ceramic one my mom made for my grandparents 30 years ago. I put it on top of the entertainment center. I hung up the handmade stockings on the entertainment center, too. Then I hung up the daily-scripture advent bags across the top of the TV that Hailey made us for Christmas this year. Inside each bag was a scripture that we read about Christ each day, and then hung a bell on the tree with one of the scripturally-referenced names for Jesus. My favorite new purchase was a roll of heavy string with mini red clothespins that I hung across the dining room wall, and that's where I put the Christmas cards we received. The only other things I hung up were a wreath on the dining room window, an advent calendar on the living room window, and an arrangement that Mrs. Mark made me on the front door. I have 6 big boxes in the shed full of Christmas decorations, and I used hardly any of them this year! I simplified things so much during December this year due to my lack of time/energy and I didn't even regret it; I was so much less stressed than previous Decembers!

Most of the Christmas decorations in our home this year are seen here!

My new favorite Christmas item: the string with clips to hang up cards. 

No comments: