Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Colorful Creations

This is the view when you walk into my master bedroom (which, btw, I just LOVE the size of):

The partial wall on the left blocks some of the view, but on the right you can see our bed and the double recliner. When I work on my laptop (for college, or blogging, or email, etc.) or when I watch TV with Josh in our room, I sit on the left side of that brown double recliner. Out of all the places I sit in our house, I probably sit in that chair the most! On the left side of the photo in front of the partial wall is some filing cabinets (holding a portable CD player and a laptop) and a hanging shelf (holding my purse). 

The wall directly across from my seat in the brown recliner is the one above the filing cabinets. It has been blank (except for the shelf holding boxes with mailing supplies) since we moved in 5 years ago. It started feeling un-inspirational to me, and I got tired of looking at the white walls, so when Josh took the boys to Father and Son Campout one night in mid-June, I decided it was time to finally bring some color to it. 

I had an idea last summer to put all the kids' gifts of colorful creations they'd made for me at school in one location, and I thought that would be the perfect spot. I don't know why I waited nearly a year to put that idea into action! 

I hung up the flower paintings that Jonah, Micah, and Kanyon made me for Mother's Day when they were in 1st grade. I love the vivid colors!

Under those paintings is the shelf that holds the mailing supplies. On one end of the shelf, I placed the colorful decoupage vases that Jonah and Micah made for me for Mother's Day when they were in 4th grade, and the colorful tile mosaic that Ammon made for me when he was in 4th grade, too.

The area still looked kind of empty, so behind their colorful gifts I put the light-up floral lamp that my Grandma Rose gave me when I was a child, a vase holding a rose that Josh gave me for Valentine's Day a few years ago, and the paper floral bouquet card that the boys gave me this year for Mother's Day.


Under the shelf, I attached some 3-D paper snowflakes that Micah colored for me as a Christmas gift this past year (and when the air conditioner is on, I like watching them blow and twirl around!). And lastly, I hung up the giant bulletin board that I got for school last year that I'd stapled colored paper triangles all over to make it look like a bright quilt because I want to attach ticket stubs of places I've been/concerts I've seen/things I've done to it. 

Now when I sit in my chair, the wall in front of me feel so much more inviting, stimulating, and uplifting! I love admiring the colorful creations that I've been given from my boys!

I thought the contrast was funny in this picture
between the contents on both sides of the partial wall:
 you can definitely which sections of our room are "his" and which are "hers"! 

No comments: