Thursday, June 25, 2015

Music in the Parks tour, Day 1

Ammon went with the high school band on music tour again this year, and I was lucky enough to go as a chaperone on the trip again as well! Last year, we had an epic trip to Seattle. This year, we headed to Lagoon. We left on Friday morning, May 29 and drove 6 hours on a school bus until we reached Ogden. The kids were pretty quiet on the first stretch of our trip!! I sat in the very front with my friend Darcy, and Ammon was at the very back--near Dylan (who you can see standing in the pic below). 

I loved having Darcy as a seatmate! She was my hotel roommate, too. We had such a fun time together! John sat right across from us on the bus, and we talked and talked and laughed and laughed the whole ride. I just loved it! 

When we got to Ogden, we stopped at the Salomon Center. Everyone was on their own for entertainment. A lot of us went over to Fat Cat's. They had just started their summer special, so all their activities were just a dollar each!!! The group I was with played a few rounds of bowling; it was awesome to only pay a buck to bowl!

There was some great music playing, and we did a lot of singing, dancing, and cheering while we bowled in the large alley. I was on a team with some of the other chaperones Darcy, Dawn, Teva, and Maleah. It was so much fun!

Ammon came bowling after a while, too. He was down a few lanes from our group, but we kept checking in with each other to compare our scores!


Ammon played lousy the first round, and I did well! I got a score of 110. The second game, Ammon did well and tied my score of 110, but I played awful the second round (which was okay, because all my teammates did awesome the second round).

When bowling was over, a lot of us ate at Costa Vida next door (I love that place and their sweet pulled pork!), and then it was time to meet up again at the bus to head for a play.

We went to a community theater in Ogden called Terrace Playhouse to see the play "Annie, Get Your Gun". It had been years since I saw the play, but I remember it being full of humor and good music, and I knew it wouldn't disappoint. The majority of our kids hadn't seen or heard of the play before, and it was a big hit with all of them! The leading actress was truly AMAZING! She's my age, and I was so impressed with her talent! It made me wish (once again) that we had a community theater in Salmon; it's been my dream since I was a child to be involved in community theater productions like this!

Some of our favorite songs, which we quoted and sang for the next few days were: "Doin' What Comes Naturally", "I'm an Indian, Too", and "You Can't Get a Man With a Gun". We got to talk to a lot of the actors from the play in the foyer after the play, and some of the thespians in our group got a picture with the leading lady Annie (whose real name is also Annie!).

It was late by the time we were done watching the play, and we still had to drive to Layton to our hotel. By the time we arrived, it was after 11. It had been a full, but fantastic, first day of our trip!

No comments: