Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Slackers and Culprits

See these two?! They haven't been doing their jobs this spring!

Tiki hasn't been chasing off the deer; she's become very lazy lately and wants to be inside a lot. And apparently Torch hasn't been catching mice around the house, because he spends all day wandering around in the fields; we barely see him anymore! I'm glad our animals are calm and that they get along with each other and our boys, but for pete's sake, we all have jobs around here, and they've been slackers with theirs!

One day in April, the boys opened up their bathroom cupboard and saw toilet paper bits all over the place. They called out "Tiki has been chewing on the toilet paper!". I thought it was strange, so I inquired further, and found out it was the extra roll that was under the sink that had been chewed, not the one that was by their toilet. So I asked them: "How would she open the cupboard door?". Upon inspection, the boys realized that it wasn't Tiki, instead the culprit was a mouse, who had been using the toilet paper to make a nest with somewhere. Around that same time, I'd been awakened in the night by mice making noises by my bed. That's such an unsettling feeling!!! And I found mouse droppings in the cupboard by the kitchen sink, too. Mouse poop is so disgusting! So, Josh got to work setting out mouse traps in our room, in the kitchen, and under the sink in the boys' bathroom. And within a week, we caught 6 mice. EWWW!!!  Mostly we caught them in our room and the kitchen, but one day, Kanyon came out of his bathroom saying (in a very sweet, pleasant voice) "Mom, I have a surprise for you", which totally lured me in, and without realizing what he had, I was shocked to see that the surprise that he was carrying was this:

I was unprepared for that "surprise" and screamed when I saw it! The mouse still had toilet paper in its mouth for crying out loud!! I took a photo and texted it to Josh, saying that Kanyon surprised me with it, and he replied "that's my boy!". Mice creep me out when they're sneaking around, but it's even worse when they're dead! Thankfully, Josh sets up the traps AND gets rid of them once they've been caught!

I had Kanyon set the mouse trap outside on the porch so that when Josh came home from work, he would dispose of it. But by the time Josh came home, the cat had realized there was a dead mouse and ended up getting rid of it first. Torch (the cat) should've gotten it before the trap ever did though, because I shouldn't have ever had to deal with it in my house in the first place!

No comments: