Friday, December 12, 2014

Independent Carvers

We all carved our pumpkins together on the last Monday night in October as a Family Home Evening activity. I really liked how everyone very independently worked: they had their own ideas, cleaned out their pumpkins on their own, and carved their pictures into the pumpkins by themselves. I helped Micah and Kanyon find a design that they wanted on the computer and printed it out for them, but other than that, I really didn't do much to help them this year with the carving activity, which was so nice. It is so pleasant for me to watch my children do things on their own; I really am glad for their abilities to think and work for themselves, and seeing them be independent helps me to appreciate their differences and unique skills that they all possess.



It took about an hour and a half for everyone to complete their cleanings and carvings, and I love the variety we had this year! We basically had 3 common themes: Boise State, logo symbols, and faces:
Micah's BSU horse mascot
Josh's BSU letters
Ammon's NIKE symbol
He also carved Under Armour and Adidas symbols on the other sides.
Jonah's CHEVROLET symbol
He also carved a NIKE symbol on the other side. 
Kanyon's Angry Bird flying out of a tree. 
Kala's theater masks
Everyone's jack-o-lanterns all together. 
 Micah decided to enter his pumpkin in a carving contest at the elementary school's Halloween Carnival, so he painted the Boise State letters onto his pumpkin a few days later before we took it to the school. I was very impressed with his desire to intricately carve the design, and then paint the letters, and it all paid off because he won first place in the contest and scored some free movie passes!

No comments: