Monday, September 1, 2014

Summer 2014 Top Ten

I can NOT believe that today is Labor Day!! The summer has passed all too quickly once again. Except this year, our summer is elongated by three weeks because the elementary school has undergone construction over the summer and the job is not yet complete. Usually, I don't feel ready for school to start at the end of August. Now it just feels weird and out-of-sorts to not be going back to school yet (the kids start on September 15).

As per tradition, I'm posting my list of the Top Ten things I looked forward to doing this past summer, and I'm glad to say that we completed all 10 items! The summer didn't feel the same as in years past, but looking back on it, we were able to do some fun things together and also spend lots of time with our families.

1. Watch Jonah, Micah, and Kanyon play soccer 
[Completed 7/8] Their season started at the end of May and went until the second week of July.
Jonah
Micah
Kanyon

2. Take Ammon to golf tournaments 
[completed 7/24] Ammon competed in 3 golf tournaments in Eastern Idaho in June and July, followed by a 2-day district tournament at the end of the season. 

3. Attend Trina's & Tawna's weddings in Utah 
[completed 6/7 & 7/5] Two of my sisters got married this summer. Trina & Dan got married in June at the temple in Logan. Tawna & Bryce got married in July at Cactus & Tropicals in Draper. 



4. Kanyon's swim lessons
[completed 6/19] This year he had private lessons instead of class lessons. They were 30 minutes long for 4 days. He loves swimming and he passed off all but one requirement in Level III. 


5. Have a Tolman Reunion in Salmon 
[completed 6/28] The 2-day reunion with Josh's siblings was very low-key and consisted mainly of family meals and a family portrait!

6. Go on a mini vacation 
[completed 8/13] We went to a water park in Rexburg and to Yellowstone for 2 days in August (I will blog more about this soon). 



7. Go camping somewhere new 
[completed 7/31] We spent one night at Big 8 Mile Creek east of Leadore. We all had a good time camping (especially Josh & Ammon who rode their motorbikes on several mountain trails)--until we were packing up to leave and Josh got injured!


8. Host a BBQ with friends 
[completed 8/31] I think this was my favorite one yet! The weather was great, the adult company was fun, and the kids all played so well together for hours!

9. Celebrate Kala's birthday 
[completed 8/16] I made my 35th birthday celebration last a week: we had a family trip for 3 days, I went to water aerobics with girlfriends on the night of my birthday, I opened presents the next day, and then I had a dinner date with Josh & friends at the Broken Arrow Restaurant in Gibbonsville.  

10. Ammon's drivers ed classes 
[completed 7/28] Ammon took Driver's Ed from the A+ Driving School Company. He spent almost a week completing the online portion of the class, and then he drove for 3 days in Idaho Falls. 


These Top Ten lists that I do for every season are such a good reminder to me of the good times we've had with friends and family that make life more enjoyable! Also, I like documenting the activities of our kids and of our family's life, because it helps me to better appreciate living in the moment. 

No comments: