Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Choral Rendezvous

I have been thinking about writing this post for weeks, and none of my approaches to writing it feel right. I want to honestly talk about every aspect of my experience, but I feel like that might not be appropriate at this time. I thought about only focusing on the positive, but that wouldn't be accurately reflective of what happened to me. So instead, I've decided on just showing my favorite photos to highlight the 5-day religious music adult camp I attended in July in the mountains above Challis, Idaho. 

This was the 20th year of its existence,
but the first year I've attended.  

I was a youth leader, and stayed with the kids. The first night we played
"Apples to Apples". I tied for 1st with these 2 cards that may or may not describe me!

We ate very healthy and super delicious food all week.
Breakfast & lunch were served daily in the dining room below the youth quarters.

We practiced singing for several hours each day--up to 8 hours a day!
The rehearsal room was spacious and had large windows, so the time didn't feel as long.
We learned 14 new songs and by the end of the week, my voice was so hoarse!!
I haven't sung in a choir like this since my high school days.

Whenever we took short side trips, the youth rode on this small bus.
They were crammed in there; it was funny to see them squeezed in like sardines.

The youth bowled on Thursday afternoon at Challis Lanes.
We sang, laughed, smack-talked, and ate as we bowled!

On my bowling team were Keragyn, Gavin, and Abygail.
I love this photo of me & Abygail (I'm FORCING her to have a photo with me)!

One of my favorite activities was playing games with the youth every night.
The last 3 nights we played rounds of "Things", a super hilarious game. 

This was my favorite, most memorable round: "Things you shouldn't call your children".
The answers included: Jesus, Adolf Hitler, Adopted, Special,
Chubby, Honey Boo-Boo, dinner meat, an accident, and illegal immigrant!

Before bed each night, several of the girls that I roomed with (and were
responsible for) stayed up late and chatted. I loved it! We shared stories
and experiences, and bonded. It made me wish I had a daughter!!
Also, Brooke, Abygail, and Josi taught me what a "hashtag" really is!

On Thursday night we sang, talked, and roasted marshmallows around the
outdoor fire pit. It was relaxing to watch the fire as the sky darkened. 

Rawhide Outfitters took us on a float trip on Friday afternoon.
This was a fun crowd on the optional float trip down the Salmon River.

This was my 2nd rafting trip ever!
(both of which happened to be with the guy that's right behind me!)

We were on a calm stretch of the river, so there were a lot of water wars between
boats. I was on the white raft--we were winning at this point of the float ;).

Ginny is the one who established CR 20 years ago (she's in the
middle). She was presented with a music quilt wall hanging here.

Adam was responsible for driving the young people's bus.
It broke down on the way to town on Saturday night, and we
were stranded by the side of the road for a few minutes. The bus gas
gauge was always broken, and when the bus broke down as
we were driving, Adam said "It seriously just ran out of gas!"
To which Josi responded (in song) "Jesus take the wheel".
It took a few times for him to say that before we believed him, though!

I missed my husband while I was gone. I never talked to him, as I rarely had cell service,
so when he joined us for dinner at the TeaCup restaurant on Saturday, I was so happy!

I performed with this trio at Saturday night's Pops concert. We practiced the
song "Super Trouper" from Mamma Mia for months! We sang in
harmony, choreographed dance moves, and had so much fun!  




The Pops concert was outdoors at the Challis City Park. There was a fun crowd
in attendance. I loved the grassy hillside seating and the open environment!

There were solo & group acts, and the CR participants also sang 3 songs all together.
I was so glad my husband came to see the show & take pictures & video!

We went to Challis Lanes a 2nd time after the Pops concert on Saturday night.
, I played against (and totally lost to) these 2 good billiards players: Gavin & Philip!

On Sunday morning we were part of the community church services.
There were more performers than congregation members (like 6 to 1)!

The church had an outstanding luncheon after the services, which we all enjoyed.
This is the staff during the meal. Our music director, Cory Evans (on the right),
is also the director of choirs at USU. He's talented and fun!

On Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, I got to transport some of the
awesome youth (since the bus was no longer working).
I loved the car rides up to the mountain retreat from town!

There were 17 youth at Choral Rendezvous this year: 5 boys and 12 girls.
4 of the girls aren't present in this photo: 2 had to go home early &
 2 didn't wait to take a group photo. The youth were from
Salmon, Challis, Boise, Idaho Falls, Arizona, and New Mexico. 


This is the Choral Rendezvous 2014 participants in front of the performance hall
on the grass at the majestic Living Waters Ranch. We all got matching T-shirts!

Our final concert was on Sunday afternoon on the stage of the performance
hall at the Living Waters Ranch. It was an amazing and edifying show;
 I got chills, I cried, I sang a solo, and I loved the variety of music. 

No comments: