Monday, July 7, 2014

Heres to You, Miss Krissy

I don't make friends easily; I mean the good, lasting kind of friendships.

I think it's because I'm part crazy (and when I say part, I mean mostly), so it's hard to be around me too much.

Anyway, I found a girl who didn't mind my crazy, and I just knew we would be friends--like the FOREVER kind of friends.

I first met her in the fall of 2010 when Josh was on the school board and she was the school district secretary. Josh attended some school board training meetings in Boise, and I joined him on the trip. The group of people from Salmon attending the meetings went to dinner at P.F. Chang's together one night. Josh didn't want to go there because he doesn't like Oriental food, but I told him I'd go with him if he did. Although I was unsure if I'd feel comfortable with the company, I wanted to eat there (because otherwise I'd probably never have the chance since Josh never goes to restaurants like that to eat). He agreed to go, and we arrived a little late. The group had already ordered the food family-style. When the meal was served, all the bowls of food were passed around the table for everyone to dish up what they wanted. I'd never tried that style of eating before, but I loved trying so many different foods that way! Krissy was there, and she made me feel so comfortable around all the people I didn't know that well, and I laughed all night! Ever since that first encounter, I knew I wanted to get to know her better.

It took a while (like almost 2 years) and LOTS of invitations for her to come over (most didn't materialize) before the friendship really developed. And I'm so glad it did! I just love this girl!
Krissy, Amanda, Kala

My friend Krissy is a good listener, she has a fantastic sense of humor, she has the same style parenting I do, she's organized, motivated, and a rock. She's emotionally strong and very understanding of others. She makes time for everybody in her life, and she provides a lot of support to those who need it. She's a single mother, a full-time worker, and an outstanding source of love and inspiration. She knows how to have a good time and brings the party wherever she goes. She has helped me out so much--being my exercise partner (and motivator), a babysitter for my children, my confidant in the school district, an advocate for me when I was hospitalized, and she's always provided me with positive and supportive feedback.

In June, she accepted a job in Boise with the Idaho School Board Association, and she's in the process of moving there. It's a great job for her, and she will be so happy there and I'm super excited for her. I know that this is a good opportunity and that the job is a good fit for her. But of course I'm also very sad for me, because my dear friend is moving away and I will miss her immensely. And since I don't make friends easily, I will most definitely feel the void that her absence will bring to my life.

I know this isn't goodbye, as I will see her when she visits Salmon (her family lives here and her childrens' father lives here), but I know there will be large gaps in the amount of time I get to spend with her now. Krissy has truly been a joy in my life, and I want to reflect on all the good times we've shared before she leaves:

Krissy joined me for my birthday movie - August 2012

Kid play time & Mommy talk time in my backyard - Summer 2012

Krissy & Amanda forced me into my first major hair coloring - September 2013
Krissy brought out 2 large nachos, and we devoured them!
Then we took silly pictures together, and used an app that traded our faces!
(Wish I had that photo that made us laugh for months afterward!)

Exercising every day together - Summer 2013
Walking & Water Aerobics became my favorite time with these girls!
We all three worked hard, but somehow her butt was the only
one that benefited from all that exercise!! (lookin good, Krissy!!)

Krissy brought me flowers, food, comfort, and was my advocate
with hospital nurses & staff after my emergency surgery - July 2013

Summer Barbecues (my place) and Tolman Tacos (her place).  - Summer 2013
[This photo is the party where Josh yelled "Can I get some help here"! haha!] 

We both dressed in pink for Halloween! - October 2013

All the fun trips to the Hot Springs!!

All the dinner dates & birthday excursions!

All the chatting and relaxing and laughing!

Cheers to you Krissy for being an unforgettable part of my life! I cherish all our memories together (and I know there will be more)!!! I love you girl, and I know this next chapter in your life is going to be a good one!

To end on a positive note, here's some phrases that always remind me of Krissy when I hear them (for various reasons):
"Just kidding!" (especially when said after a serious constructive statement)
"How many polar bears does it take..."
"weak ankles"
"It's okay. We're fine. Everything's good." (all in succession of course)
"Try zumba"
"Shut up, you WHORE" (and NO i did not say that when she told me to try zumba)

No comments: