Tuesday, June 10, 2014

You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile

Back in January, I had all the 4th grade classes read through two plays, and vote as a class which play they wanted to perform in the spring (it takes about 4 months of learning songs, picking parts, practicing, and rehearsing with props and costumes). The choices I gave them were "Schoolhouse Rock Jr." and "Joust". "Joust" was a new play I purchased this year, because I thought this predominantly-male grade would like the sword fighting and instrument playing in it. When each class was done reading through the plays, they voted. Mrs. Baker's and Ms. Bolyard's classes both voted for "Schoolhouse Rock". 
Toby, a student in Ms. Bolyard's class, took this photo with me after
their class production. His dad is the drama teacher at the high school.
Mrs. Livingston's class results were much different: 50% voted for "Schoolhouse Rock" and 50% voted for "Joust". The class was unhappy with the results, and I knew that whatever play they did at this point, half the class would be mad. I'd recently taught all the classes in the school the habit 'think win-win', and I knew I needed to come up with a solution that everyone in this class would be happy with. So...I picked a different play altogether for this specific class: "Annie Jr.". It was the best choice! I directed a class 2 years ago that did the same play, but this time around it felt so much more fulfilling and rewarding. This class performed it magnificently!

They had two performances: once on April 30 for students in the school to watch, and once on May 1 for a parent audience. We had worked hard to put this on, and during the course of the 4-month rehearsals, their class enrollment dropped by 3 students. Everyone worked together to pick up the missing parts, and put their best effort into the play, and I was so, SO proud of them! I couldn't stop crying during their show because it was nearly flawless and it really touched my heart. It was the last 4th grade play I'd be directing on this stage...and it was a good, happy ending.

The 3 narrators spoke throughout the show.
This is the opening scene at the orphanage.

The orphans scrubbing the floor during the song "It's a Hard-Knock Life",

Annie & her dog Sandy on the city streets singing "Tomorrow".

Grace Farrell speaks with Miss Hannigan about wanting an orphan,
and Annie overhears and emerges from the closet.

The servants at Oliver Warbucks home sing "Gonna Like it Here". 

Annie's solo in "N.Y.C" with the ensemble.

The last song was "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile",
and the whole cast sings it. I got a group photo of them afterwards!

BRAVO! Well done, kids! I'm sure that I will see several of these students performing in the theater in the future!

No comments: