Sunday, June 22, 2014

The last 1st

Kanyon had a great year in 1st grade. He really loved his teacher Mrs. Born, and we were so lucky that he had her! She is fun, creative, has a great sense of humor, is knowledgeable, and she has routine and schedule in her classroom, which is what Kanyon thrives on. This is a photo of Kanyon with his teacher by his cubby.

Above the cubbies, you can see some of their last art projects of the year on display. They made self-portraits, and framed them using noodles, glue, and spray paint. They also created poems about themselves that were hung next to their drawings. 
I love that Kanyon's frame included placing the macaroni in a certain pattern. He is a lover of patterns, which I appreciate (he gets that from me!). Also, I thought his poem was hilarious. When I first saw it hanging in the hallway, I stopped and read it and when I got to the 3rd paragraph, I laughed out loud for several minutes!

Kanyon has done so well as a first grader. He liked going to full-day school, and adjusted very quickly to the new longer schedule (which includes THREE recesses!! (in kindergarten there's only one recess for half-day school)). He's really advanced in his reading abilities, and he continues to excel in math. He did better this year with art projects, too--they really frustrated him last year because he could never create on paper what he could see in his mind. He loved P.E. and music class--he's always humming or singing something. And he liked when he got to be the student of the day because they're the line leader, and the calendar leader, and they get to bring show-and-tell items.

I read to Kanyon's class for 20 minutes every Monday, and I really enjoyed it. I was glad for the opportunity to read young children's literature to his class. I like being involved in my children's classrooms because I get to know their peers better, too. I'm sad that this is the last time I will have a 1st grader--I really like 1st graders: they're young and naive, they're funny and excited to learn, they're becoming independent readers, and they have very active minds and bodies.

I missed Kanyon's first field trip this spring because it was the same day as the twins' field trip to Montana. His class walked to the city library, and he received his official library card and checked out his first book! His second field trip was one the entire 1st grade went on together. A bus took them all up to the CDC park for picnic and play time. I went up that afternoon for about an hour and a half, and was so glad I did! It was a warm, sunny afternoon and the kids were having such a good time!



He laid in the shade and said "Take of picture of me, mom!"

So then I said I took the picture he wanted, now he could take a picture with me!
He was so excited for this field trip! I took him shopping the night before so he could pick out items he wanted in his lunch. Then he woke up early that morning and packed his lunch all by himself! I was impressed! It was just an affirmation to me of just how much he's grown up this year!

Rolling down the hill (on a full stomache, too!)

Giving a piggy-back ride to his friend Marisa.
His friend Wyatt is giving a piggy-back ride to Abby.

A group of fun first graders and Mrs. Born, too!

Kanyon and his best friend Keegan.

Kanyon with his best buddies: Abby, Keegan, & Wyatt.
It's bittersweet watching children grow up!!!

No comments: