Friday, June 27, 2014

My last show

The short story is I won't be teaching elementary music next year.

The long story is...well, really long. It ends with my final student show (Kindergarten Graduation) on the last day of school this year: This is that story:

Last spring towards the end of the school year, our elementary principal began implementing the "Leader in Me" Program in our school, and he asked me if I would create songs and teach them to the children for each of the 7 Habits during this school year. The program is based on Covey's 7 Highly Effective Habits. All the teachers went to 3 days of training to prepare to teach the habits and incorporate them into their current teaching curriculums. I thought all summer long about how I could effectively teach these 7 habits to all the students, grades K through 4th, and have each child interested in learning songs that corresponded with each habit. I finally got the idea that I would create each song based on a cartoon theme song, and find a cartoon episode that exhibited that specific trait. I spent a lot of extra {aka unpaid} time devoted to creating these songs and lesson plans to go along with them that I would teach all my students, but it was a project that I thought would greatly benefit our students so I was willing to give it my best effort.

The first habit is "Be Proactive", which means making good choices and being responsible for our own actions and the consequences of those actions and choices. "Be Proactive" has 4 syllables, which was the same amount of syllables as "Sponge Bob Square Pants". So, I found an episode of that cartoon that exhibited the Proactive Habit: the one where Patrick really wants to earn an award since SpongeBob has so many, so he starts copying everything SpongeBob does. But then he still doesn't receive an award for being just like SpongeBob, so SpongeBob helps him realize that being himself is most important, and at the end, Patrick does his best at being himself, and he earns an award. Then I created a new song set to the tune "Spongebob SquarePants" but I changed the lyrics to go along with the Proactive theme. I showed the students this episode, and paused it throughout the episode to discuss what was happening and if SpongeBob and Patrick were being proactive at different times. Then when the cartoon was over, and all the discussions were done about what it means to be proactive and how the characters had this quality, I taught the students the new Proactive lyrics to the highly recognizable tune. 

On my 2nd day of teaching this lesson (I have a block schedule, so the students come on M/W or T/TH), there was a student who said his mom wouldn't allow him to watch SpongeBob. I assured him that we weren't doing this for recreational purposes, that we were learning a lesson that all the students in the school were learning, that this episode was rated G, and that it was approved of by the principal (I can't show anything higher than rated G without getting parent approval). As I started the cartoon, he plugged his ears, rocked his body back and forth in his chair, and started yelling. So, I turned off the cartoon, and told him that if he was going to disrupt the class in this manner, then he could go to the principal's office. And he did. The rest of the class finished the cartoon, had the discussions about the habit, learned the new song, and then they were excused.

When class was over, I went to the office and talked to the student and told him that I was glad that he stood up for what he thought was right, and I told him that I would never teach him or subject him to something that was inappropriate in my classroom. I told him that I didn't appreciate the way in which he disrupted the class as I was teaching the lesson, and I told him that his classmates looked up to him, and followed what he did, and how important it was to make good choices, and then I excused him. Then I informed the principal of the entire situation, and he said I handled it correctly.

A week later, this student's mother approached me outside of school just as I was going to lunch and she verbally attacked me. She told me that I had no place teaching children. She said anybody who knows anything would never show SpongeBob at school. She said it makes children "more stupid". I told her that it wasn't for fun, that it was to help teach the concept of  being proactive to the entire studentbody. She said that she didn't care my reasons, and that she'd gotten several mothers to sign a petition along with her to have me removed as a teacher. She said that my own children used "such profane language and were behaviorally bad" because I allowed them to watch SpongeBob at home. I told her that I couldn't believe she took this to a personal level; I thought she was only talking to me as a teacher. She said I handled the situation all wrong, and then she yelled "YOU NEED HELP!!!" as she stormed off.  I immediately went back in the school and told the principal what had just transpired so that it could be documented. He said he would take care of it, and to not talk to her again without the presence of administration.

Within the following week, I discovered that her son made accusations about me: that I'd sworn, that I'd called him names, and that I'd thrown chairs in class. So the principal interviewed each child in that class separately, asking them if each of those 3 things had happened, and if each student liked music. He reported to me that every child denied each of those 3 things happened--all except one. It was at this point that I started getting a substitute teacher for that one class every other day. For almost a month last fall, I refused to teach the class since the student obviously was making up things about me and reporting the falsehoods to his mother. But, the students in this class began behaving terribly, and after 3 weeks, I couldn't get any subs to take the class for me anymore. I was willing to use up all my sick leave all year long to do this, but after a month, the principal said he felt like it was important to the rest of the students in this class that I be there. I informed him that I'd been wrongfully accused and I didn't want to subject myself anymore to the abuse of this child or his mother. The principal offered this student the opportunity to do something else during music instead, but his mother refused that option and she insisted that he come to music class. So the principal told me he himself would come with this class to music, and I stopped getting subs. He only came with them for one week, but everything seemed like it was better. Or so I thought.

After this mother complained about me to the principal, she went to the superintendent, who told her that I did nothing wrong. This wasn't good enough for her, and she called the Idaho state Department of Education, and insisted that it was wrong of me to teach children. 

When my position became available 4 years ago, the school district was in between superintendents. The 3 people who interviewed me were the high school principal, the elementary principal, and the high school music teacher. The principals had learned of other school districts in the state that hired paraprofessionals to teach non-core subjects at the elementary level with supervision from a certified teacher in that same subject. Due to a lack of funding from the state, the school district could no longer afford to pay a certified music teacher at the elementary level, so the school board instead included the funding for this specific job in the district's 2-year supplemental levy. But in order to still adequately fund the high school music department, the elementary music teacher's pay was set at minimum wage, making it a paraprofessional's job. 

Two years ago, the state made changes as to how grades were entered, and a non-certified position could no longer give grades to students (before that, report cards listed grades from me on the H-honor, S-satisfactory, N-needs help, U-unsatisfactory scale). At all the music performances in the spring of 2013, I announced to the audience the reasons why the students no longer received grades from me on their report cards because I felt like it was important that they know the facts. Those were the facts that I knew, so those were the facts that I shared. 

Well, when this mother called the state last fall, they in turn called our superintendent. The state said it is illegal for a para to be alone with students and they gave the superintendent a deadline to have this problem resolved. My music building is separate from the nearby elementary and middle schools. I have the only classroom in the building, and I am alone for the majority of the day. This year, I co-taught 5th grade with the high school music teacher, so he was with me every morning for one hour, but I teach all the remaining classes K-4th myself. We thought if video cameras were installed in my classroom that the problem would be resolved, but the state said that wasn't good enough; supervision had to be present, not just observed. The teachers and personnel had several brainstorming sessions, trying to come up with ideas to solve this problem (without any extra money to hire a certified teacher). For 2 months, I didn't know if I was going to have a job anymore or not. Every week, meetings were had, ideas were presented, deadlines were extended, stress was high, and life was unsure. Finally, on the last day of November, I applied to the state for an emergency hire teaching authorization. 

During this same time, I decided that it was time for me to go back to college and get my teaching degree. I always said I would go back when my youngest was in school full day, which was this year since Kanyon was in 1st grade. I got in contact with a local education counselor, and I applied at Western Governor's University. I got my SUU transcripts and AP tests transferred, I took a 3-part application test, and I applied for financial aid. I was admitted to the university in December. 

In February, I began my first semester at WGU, and two weeks after starting my online classes, I got my acceptance letter from the Idaho state board of education saying they approved my emergency hire provisional authorization to teach only until the end of the school year. 

I was hoping that if I worked really hard this summer taking the required 12-week pedagogy course and taking and passing the state-mandated Praxis II test, that the state would allow me to continue to teach as long as I was enrolled in college and actively working towards my teaching degree. I found out in April that the state wouldn't accept this: I had to already have a Bachelor's degree of some sort in order to continue teaching music. I discovered at the end of April (not officially, but through the grapevine--which bothers me) that the school had a replacement for me and I would be transferred to a different department next year (which I still have no idea where).

This whole process has been extremely difficult for me, and it all started with an angry parent who would take nothing less than having me removed from my job. She got what she wanted, and I lost big time. I learned a lot of hard lessons along the way, like: which teachers would throw me under a bus in order to comply with requests, and which parents follow misguided people rather than stand up for what's right. 

On the opposite side of that spectrum, though, I've also been blessed to know some good-hearted people, like a superintendent that stood by me even when it wasn't popular, a district secretary that called the state and relentlessly tried from every angle to have me keep my job, a citizen of the community who called and expressed her admiration and praises for what I've done for the music program in the last 4 years, and for good teachers and kind parents who've expressed their appreciation to me for bringing fun and love of music to the children. 

At the last music concert of the year in May, the high school music teacher (my friend John) presented me with a gift of flowers and chocolate, and publicly acknowledged his appreciation for my help this year in teaching 5th grade band with him. He had the audience applaud for me, and I teared up. I felt so loved and appreciated and emotional. Afterwards, a lady approached me. I teach 3 of her children, and I know who she is, but she's never talked to me before. She came up to me during the middle of the high school concert and told me how much she appreciates me teaching music and how her two younger children have really showed an interest in it, and how they love going to music, and how they have been more confident this year because of my music class. It was a moment that I will always treasure. It's also the moment it all became real to me.

I feel sad that I won't be able to continue teaching music next year. I feel like I've been wronged--I willingly accepted a request by my principal to make and teach songs to better the students' leadership abilities, and in doing so, my job ended as a result of it.  

I will say, though, that I did not give up on my teaching of the 7 habits, despite the feelings of failure I had in teaching the first one. I was determined to finish what I started, and I taught one habit a month to all the students until May. For each habit, I showed a cartoon clip, taught a lesson about the habit, and had the students sing and memorize the song I created to go along with the habit. In addition to that, the new habit was highlighted each month at the school assembly: chosen classes sang the new habit song and presented a habit skit to go along with it (that I wrote). Despite having one student and one mother who despised me, the vast majority of the students understood the concepts through cartoons. They loved these lessons, loved the presentations at the assemblies, and loved learning and exhibiting the leadership habits. 
Every time I taught a habit song, I added that habit
on my office door in the hallway that the students
pass as they enter the music room.
Even though I have been relieved from my position as a music teacher, I feel like I have been a success at what I set out to do: teaching students that music is fun, music is meaningful, and music is important in all aspects of life. I know that as long as the 2-year levy passes in Salmon, there will be music in the elementary school. Even though I found out in April that I wouldn't be teaching music anymore, I didn't share that information with the students or parents. I didn't announce it at my spring musical programs because the levy was coming up again in May, and I didn't want the announcement to negatively affect the outcome. I think music and P.E. are important for the students to have in their daily curriculum at school, and I don't want the students to lose out on that, regardless of who teaches it. 

There have been a lot of changes in the school district this spring... We found out the middle school would be closing this summer, and with that, my music building too. We found out that 6th, 7th, and 8th graders would now be attending the high school next fall. We found out that a portable would be brought in at the elementary school to house 5th graders, and portables would be added to the high school for the 6th graders. We found out that the elementary roof would be replaced over the summer. We found out the school board president resigned (due to a petition with the same person on that committee that wanted me removed as a teacher). We found out the superintendent and the elementary principal resigned. It's a lot of changes all at once. EVERY teacher in the middle school and elementary schools had to box up everything in their classrooms by the end of school. Boxing up my teaching materials forced me to say goodbye to teaching as well as goodbye to my classroom and stage. 

Now we're nearing the end of this story. The final day of school was my last student musical show: Kindergarten Graduation. I've always created the musical program myself for this event, tweaking it every year to make it different and new. This year, I added each of the 7 Habits songs to the program, and had 3 different students talk for each of the 7 habits and what they learned about that habit. Then all the students sang a fun & popular song about something they learned in Kindergarten that incorporated that habit. The Graduation included 16 songs, and was broken up into 7 sections--and yet the musical portion of the program still only lasted a half hour! (If it lasts any longer than 30 minutes, the young students have a hard time standing.) For example: 3 students talked about what it means to be proactive, then we sang the proactive song, then we sang "Wheels on the Bus" because the students learned to be proactive on the bus. Then 3 more students talked about the 2nd habit, we sang the 2nd habit song, and we sang a fun song that incorporated that habit into their kindergarten learning, and the process was repeated 5 more times.
Miss Jane is a school volunteer who sings songs with the children
as she plays her guitar. She joined us for 2 songs in the K grad. program.

The following are the 7 Habit songs I created that were performed at Kindergarten Graduation (they were also sung at the monthly school assemblies throughout the year, but this is the first time they were performed for the public).

**The first 3 habits focus on individual behaviors, so the cartoons showed individuals exhibiting the specific trait.**
  
Habit #1: BE PROACTIVE 
(to the tune of "SpongeBob SquarePants")

When you have a choice between right and wrong,
BE PROACTIVE!
If you can't decide, just think of this song,
BE PROACTIVE!
You are responsible for actions you choose,
BE PROACTIVE!
So think win-win and no one will lose!
BE PROACTIVE!
Be Proactive, Be Proactive, Be Proactive, You're in charge of YOU!
da-na-na-na-na-na-da-na (imaginary whistle on nose) 


Habit #2: BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND
(to the tune of "Popeye the Sailor Man")

Begin with the end in mind! {toot toot}
Begin with the end in mind! {toot toot}
Step 1 is the vision, Step 2 is the mission,
Begin with the end in mind! {toot toot}

Begin with the end in mind! {toot toot}
Begin with the end in mind! {toot toot}
A plan I do make, An action I take,
Begin with the end in mind! {toot toot}


Habit #3: PUT 1st THINGS 1st 
(to the tune of "Whistle While You Work" from Snow White)

I work before I play, I put 1st things 1st.
I choose to grin, then start right in, to get the hard work done.
I work before I play, I put 1st things 1st.
I do my best, then take a rest, to play and have some fun. Yay!

**The next 3 habits are focused on being team players, so the cartoons showed groups working together exhibiting the traits.**

Habit #4: THINK WIN-WIN
(to the tune of "Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers")

Th-th-th-think win-win, when there's conflicts.
Th-th-th-think win-win, don't fight; help fix.
No, no it never fails when I'm involved,
I know the problem can be solved.

Th-th-th-think win-win, we're a team.
Th-th-th-think win-win, be nice; not mean.
No, no it never fails, let's have some fun,
And find a happy solution.

Th-th-th-think win-win. Th-th-th-think WIN-WIN!!


Habit #5: SEEK 1st TO UNDERSTAND, THEN TO BE UNDERSTOOD
(to the tune of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles")

Seek 1st to understand, Seek 1st To understand, Seek 1st to understand,
Then to be understood. Listen Up!

Listen with your ears and eyes and heart,
Understand what's being said before you start.
When you hear before you share,
You send the message that you care.

Seek 1st to understandSeek 1st To understand, Seek 1st to understand,
Then to be understood. Listen Up!


Habit #6: SYNERGIZE
(to the tune of "Smurfs Song")

Lalalalalala We can Synergize!
Lalalalalala Teamwork Unites!

Lalalalalala When we cooperate,
Lalalalalala Sharing ideas is great!

Lalalalalala Together we create
Lalalalalala Better ways to communicate.

Lalalalalala We can Synergize!
Lalalalalala Team-Work U-nites!!

**The last habit is about bringing enjoyment to one's life**

Habit #7: SHARPEN THE SAW
(to the tune of "Everything is Awesome" from the Lego Movie)

Everything is awesome! Everything feels good when you sharpen the saw.
Everything is awesome when you take time to renew.

Everything is awesome! Everything feels good when there's balance in your life.
Everything is awesome when you do things that you like. 

Everything is awesome! Everything feels good when your bucket is full.
Everything is awesome in your heart and mind and soul.


I cried during their graduation; they did such a fabulous job and I was thrilled with their performance! It was so sad for me knowing that this was my last show, but it was truly a good one to end with! I was just so proud to be their music teacher! The Kindergarten teachers had the students present this to me at the end of the program, which made me cry even more!


It's been a good run. I've learned a lot over the past 4 years, enough to know that I enjoy what I do and I'm good at teaching. It's going to take me about 2 years to finish getting my teaching degree, and then I will be back doing what I love!!!

No comments: