Friday, June 13, 2014

Mother's Day 2014

I had a very nice Mother's Day weekend this year.

On Friday night, Josh took me on a date to the 28 Club for dinner. I had my favorite dish there: coconut shrimp. It was so delicious, and I really enjoyed spending time alone with my husband!

On Saturday, I went to our stake's Women's Conference. It was so lovely. I went to three classes, and the last one was a marriage one done by the Flinders couple that made me both laugh and cry. There was also a super good lunch with yummy desserts. I had a really nice, rejuvenating time.

On Sunday, I got to sleep in. I had a substitute who played the piano for me in primary because I'd been gone the 3 previous Sundays too, and she had practiced and knew the special Mother's Day songs that they would be singing that day and said she would do one more week for me. I was so appreciative! I arrived at church right before Sacrament Meeting, and it was another nice meeting--really funny and really spiritual, and good musical numbers by the primary and one by the men of the ward.

After church, we ate dinner with Josh's parents, and then the boys gifted me their presents. I felt so loved and spoiled! (Obviously it was Sunday by what you see in this photo--I was in my pajamas in the middle of the day and Josh had been watching golf on TV!)

The younger boys had made gifts for me at school, and Kanyon couldn't wait for me to open his present! He'd been asking that morning, and after church, AND after dinner when it was time for presents! I love that he was so excited for me to open his gift!
He worked hard to draw and paint this floral picture! It was framed too! He did a great job and I just loved it!

Jonah and Micah decorated glass vases with decoupaged patterned tissue paper. They were so colorful and creative! I love how bright and cheery they are!

A little background to my next gift by my eldest son... Sometimes Josh and I buy 'special' food for ourselves to eat. This is food that is a little more expensive that we really enjoy; food that we really appreciate and savor when partaking. The previous week, I'd purchased a bag of Sun Chips for myself (I hate that they're never on sale in Salmon). Anyways, I had to run the younger boys to town to do something one day, and when I left, Ammon wasn't home. But as I was driving to town, Josh and he were driving home. When he got home, he saw the bag of opened Sun Chips, and ate the whole rest of the bag. When I got back from town, I saw that my beloved chips were gone and I was soooo irritated!!! So, on Mother's Day, you can guess what he gifted me:
And after all the presents had been opened, Kanyon had a good idea: he went and got a permanent marker and wrote "Kala's" on the chip bag so that Ammon would know not to make mom mad again by eating chips that didn't belong to him!!! I laughed so hard!

Josh also got me another 'special food' item--my favorite cereal: Cracklin' Oat Bran (which also NEVER goes on sale! grrrr). In addition to that, he bought me a gorgeous hanging floral basket for my front porch. I haven't had a hanging basket for 2 years, and I'd contemplated getting one again this year. The flowers inside this basket are so beautiful and so unique. I love their color and the way they droop! Whenever I open the front door and see them, I am filled with happiness!

He and the boys had also picked up two flats of flowers for me. I requested pansies this year, because we haven't had them for a few years, and he also got some petunias because they're really hardy and the deer don't eat them. Usually Josh and the boys also plant all the flowers for me, but this year, that didn't happen. Josh has been working 3 jobs all spring (golf course, driving bus, mowing lawns), and a week after getting the flowers, he hadn't gotten home early enough any of the days to plant them. So for the first time, I took matters into my own hands, and planted my own gift flowers!

I started with the area on the back side of the house between the porch and the deck where Josh created a planter box next to the rock walkway that he built two years ago. Except, as long as I was the one to plant the flowers, then I wanted to also fix the planter box in my own way at the same time. Josh built the edge of the planter box out of rocks, but they were uneven, and there were a few spots that every time we watered the flowers, the water would leak and flow onto the rock walkway. This is what it looked like before:
2013 planter box by rock walkway
Last summer, I added a border along the front side of the house out of bricks. I had an idea to continue that same thing along the back side of the house. So, I pulled up each rock that was in the planter box border, then I dug out some dirt, and set in a row of bricks as the new border for the box. They were only set in the dirt about halfway deep, so that they'd be higher than the dirt and keep the water in the soil instead of pouring onto the rocks. I love the finished look!
2014 planter box by rock walkway
It took me a couple hours one evening to complete this project, and I had just finished putting in the bricks when Josh got home. I knew that if I got the project done before he got home, that he'd like it. And he did! It has a much more refined look now, AND...there has been no water leakage onto the walkway! Success!

A couple days later, I got flowers planted in all the floral pots in the front and back of the house. I put red petunias in the middle of each pot, and multi-colored pansies in a circle around the edges. I like the colorful arrangement in the pots!
north end of the front of the house
back of the house between the parking spot and porch

Then a few days later, I planted flowers in other spots around the yard. This was the new spot I created last year after one of the tallest trees in our yard was chopped down:

Then I created another new spot this year to plant flowers. I found a good sized stump in our wood-burning pile that would work as another planter. So, I added that stump on the opposite side of the wooden swing in the same corner of the yard that the other stump is:

And even after all that planting, I still had a few remaining flowers left. I debated where to put them, and finally I decided to place them under a section of the fence that borders the ditch in our backyard. Josh and I have rather enjoyed seeing color on this end of the yard for the first time, and I'm glad I put them there! 

I'm so grateful for a husband and sons who spoil me on Mother's Day! I have enjoyed all my Mother's Day gifts! I even liked having the opportunity to get my fingers dirty planting all the nice flowers they got me, too!

No comments: