Saturday, January 11, 2014

tank job, large bunny, and crazy boy dance

On the Sunday before Christmas, I was talking to my friend Amanda at church. Her brother and his wife were in town, and they'd decided to stay an extra day. We thought it would be fun to all get together, so my house was volunteered as the location for a gaming party that night. Nobody in my family likes doing chores on Sunday; we all use it as our day of rest. So whenever we end up hosting an activity on a Sunday, everyone in the family is in turmoil (and understandably so). Josh and the boys helped me clean, then we all argued and yelled, then I whipped up a few appetizers for us all to eat before our friends arrived.
 
We had a good time with our friends that night eating and laughing and playing and talking together. So much so, that Josh & I forgot how we'd just been angry with each other not too long before that about having to clean the house!!! I'm so, so glad we got to host this thrown-together party at the last minute! There were three memorable parts that happened that make me smile every time I think about that night...
 
We played the game "Things" together. The most memorable part of that particular night's game was the category "things you wouldn't want to clean" and then learning what an "upper tank job" was from Lance!! He explained what happens if you poop in the upper tank of a toilet--and how that special job should be reserved for only your enemies!!!
 
As we were all sitting around the table, our friend John was looking at one of the nearby nativities I had on display in the windowsill. I made this particular nativity a few years ago at a Relief Society Super Saturday event. The pieces in the wooden nativity are shadows of every character. John picked up the kneeling shepherd with the staff, and told us that it was strange that a giant bunny was at the Savior's birth. I couldn't see the bunny...I've only ever looked at that piece as a shepherd. I said "That's not a bunny!" Then Ammon responded, "Yeah, it's the girl with the big ponytail!".  Oh my heck, we all laughed SO hard!!! It's funny that I've had this nativity for years and never realized that others were viewing the shepherd differently. We all have different perspectives, so I'm wondering...when YOU look at this piece of the nativity (the one that looks like the top is a backwards candy cane), do you see what I see: a kneeling shepherd? Or what John sees: a bunny with its nose facing upward? Or what Ammon sees: a girl with a big ponytail and hairbow? Can you see all 3?!

Also as we were sitting around the table, we were talking about music from back in our day (you know, as in the 90's). A song was mentioned that I knew I had somewhere on tape ("What is Love" (I can't hear that without singing the rest: "baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more".)). So, I found the tape, and played it for all of us to listen to as we continued to play games around the table. Our boys (who'd never heard these songs before) really started to get into it and really liked the dance songs from Snap and KLF and TLC. We all loved it! It was the perfect musical background for the fun night, and watching Kanyon's awesome dance moves to the songs made our fun evening together complete (click on the link below to see 15 seconds of his mad dancing skills!):

No comments: