Friday, December 20, 2013

Peaceful Resting

The first weekend in November, I took an unexpected short trip to Utah with my 3 youngest boys. Josh's Great Uncle Ed had passed away at the end of October, and his graveside funeral was at the Honeyville Cemetary on Saturday, November 2.  Uncle Ed was the last living brother of Josh's Grandpa Rex, and since Josh was unable to go to it(he was scheduled to drive bus that weekend for the Cross Country team to attend their state meet), I decided to.
 
I drove down Friday night and stayed at my parents' home in Tremonton. On Saturday morning, I took Jonah and Micah with me to the viewing at the church in Honeyville. Then we did a little bit of shopping in Brigham City, and went back to Honeyville for the graveside services.
 
It was such a beautiful day, and I loved the views of the sun shining upon the fall surroundings around us in the cemetery. I like how a camera lens' zoom gives the eye a unique view of our perspective that day:  
 
Up Close--
the sun shining on the beautiful flower arrangement on the casket,
and the headstone's list of all of Ed & Joy's 9 children

Focused--
a view of the the larger floral arrangements of autumnal colors,
the smooth, blue casket,
a glimpse of family members attentive listening to the speaker.

Broad view--
the nearby tree with so many leaves gone,
the shade of the canopy in a perfect square over the burial site,
the nearness and togetherness of family members attending.

Glimpses of family members in attendance:
Aunt Louise, the last living sibling of Josh's grandpa,
gave a very nice talk about Uncle Ed's life and legacy.

Josh's parents
 
Josh's cousins Craig & Glade--the two men he worked for
after coming home from his mission, and both were instrumental
in training him in occupations that helped him in his current job.

my boys Jonah & Micah
 Views of Headstones in the cemetery:
The front side of Uncle Ed's,
with a view of his grandson in the background placing a flower on the casket.

the front side of Great Grandpa Benjamin Hewitt's headstone,
and his two wives Ellen and Emily.

The back side of that same headstone, with the names and dates of all their children.
I've had the children of meeting all 10 of them before they passed away.
Vonda's and Ed's death dates need to be added to the list.
 
Josh's Great-Great Grandpa Benjamin H. Tolman's headstone.
In the background is the gathering at Uncle Ed's funeral.
This cemetery has at least 6 generations of Tolman's buried there.
After the graveside services, we went back to the church for a family meal. It was nice to see and talk to many family members there for a little while.

That afternoon, I went to the Logan temple with my mom while my dad babysat the kids. It was very peaceful and I really enjoyed it. When we got home, I went to the movie theater to see "Captain Phillips" with my dad while my mom babysat. I had a fun time going to the movie with my dad!

On Sunday morning, the boys and I left and drove back to Salmon. It was a very relaxing and restful trip. I got to see and spend time with family members, enjoy the fall weather, and spend one-one-one time with both of my parents!

No comments: