Wednesday, May 15, 2013

bulbs, buds, and a bad dog

Our home is now on the same spot that Josh's grandma and grandpa lived for a while in their mobile home. Grandma loved flowers, and she planted them all around her yard. When we had our new home moved onto this spot, and our older mobile home moved away, one of her beautiful Peony flowers that she planted years ago was destroyed, and I was sad about that. Grandma really wanted me to get some tulips in our yard. After grandpa died, and Grandma Tolman moved to Blackfoot to live an Assisted Living Center, she would ask me each spring if we had tulips blooming. I always told her no, that we didn't have any. One year, she even gave me $20 to go buy some tulip bulbs to plant. Unfortunately, the gardening store in Salmon doesn't sell tulip bulbs, and I could never find them locally or at Walmart to plant, and I looked for years. Well, last fall, I finally found some at WinCo when we were in Boise for Josh's birthday, so I bought a few packages of them, and Josh planted them in two rows along the back side of our house. I was so excited anticipating the flowers this coming spring! Josh doesn't like tulips because they don't last long, but I like the thought of having multiple kinds of flowers that are in bloom at different points throughout the growing season. (I also have the desire to have some poppies that bloom in June, but our efforts in growing some last year failed.)
 
Anyways, last fall we also got a puppy--against my wishes, if you may remember. When the tulip plants started growing, he began digging in the dirt surrounding them. I keep thinking that stupid dog will grow out of his puppy stage and stop chewing on and destroying things. But it hasn't happened yet.
 
So Josh brought some chicken wire home, and covered the area so that he couldn't dig it up and destroy it anymore. (Of course, then the dumb dog just moved onto destroying other things--like chewing on bike seats, and 4-wheeler helmets, and my beloved hammock swing, and packages that the UPS man brings, and dirt box toys, and shoes, etc. etc. etc.)
 
Anyways...after all that disturbance to the plants, only two actually blossomed out of all two rows of bulbs that were planted. I was extremely disappointed. But, I am hopeful that next year, it will be better! (Because either the dog will grow up, or the tulip bulbs will be stronger.)

1 comment:

Franson Funny Farm said...

Sprinkle Cayenne Pepper where ever he digs (or goes potty). I buy it in bulk from Winco for the purpose of keeping the cats from pooping in our window well or flower beds. The dog will sniff before digging & the cayenne will burn his nose. I also heard about spreading hot peanut sauce on some things you think they might chew on & it's supposed to cure them. I think that one would be hard to do. I am told they will grow out of it but I didn't keep our dog long enough to find out. :P Next time I will get an older dog that is already past the puppy stage. lol Good luck!!!