Friday, March 22, 2013

happy kids about angry birds

Kanyon turned 6 in February. He'd been looking forward to it for months because he knew he would finally be able to have his first friend birthday party. Last September, he decided he wanted to have an Angry Birds party. Even though he'd been thinking about it for so long, I sure hadn't! This was the first birthday party I've thrown where I put everything together the day of the party! I wasn't even stressed about it like I usually am, and the party went very well for throwing it all together at the last minute.
 
I bought some supplies at the grocery store a few days before the party, and the night before his birthday, I baked the cake. When I woke up the day of the party, I got to work decorating it to look like an angry bird. I am a terrible cake decorator, so I bought some things to help me make it work...licorice for the eyebrows, flat cookies for the eyes, rolos for the eyeballs, butterscotch disks for the mouth, bit-o-honeys for the tongue, and then I used icing to complete it. I think it turned out pretty good!

Then Kanyon helped me put together the goodie bags with items I'd gotten at Zurcher's a few weeks earlier and some candy we picked out the day before. He was very happy to help me the entire morning cleaning and decorating and preparing for the party.

He found 6 different colored golf balls in his room for one of our planned activities, and we applied angry birds stickers to them.

 I tried to draw angry bird faces on different colored balloons for another activity, but they didn't end up so good. Thankfully, after the balloons were blown up, the faces weren't even visible. But I tried!

 He invited 3 girls and 2 boys to his party, and they all came! Abbi is his friend from church, Briella is his friend from daycare last year, Wyatt is his friend from preschool last year, Keegan is his friend from Kindergarten, and Raegan is a family friend.

When they first arrived, we played the balloon game. Each child picked a colored balloon, and they had to try to keep it in the air without it touching the ground. We played two rounds of this game, and Keegan and Kanyon both got 1st place.

The second game was the kids threw a small angry birds frisbee at a target. I came up with this idea the day of the party. The goal was to toss the frisbee and hit the target of the pigs' noses on the wall. Each child had 4 turns to try, and Kanyon and Wyatt tied for first place.

The third game was miniature golf. Kanyon came up with this idea the day of the party, too. Each one of my sons picked a room in the house, and created an obstacle course that the kids had to hit their balls through. Kanyon had the family room, and he had the kids hit their balls under the red couch, under the mini trampoline, and into a sideways cooking pot. Jonah had Kanyon's room, and he had the kids hit their balls on a track surrounded by pillows and under a bench and into an open box. Micah had his own room, and he had them hit their balls on a track surrounded by toys, and under an open book. Ammon also had his own room, and he had the kids hit their balls on a track he made out of his shoes, and into a cup; it was the best conceptualized one of the four. The kids had a great time hitting their golf balls with putters in the house. I counted each of their strokes, and Raegan won with a score of 19.

The last game was an Angry Birds game that we borrowed from a friend. They all had six tries to hit the targets out of the pig wall using the slingshot to catapult the angry birds. Keegan also won this game.

When the games were all done, we gathered in the dining room. We sang the happy birthday song to Kanyon before he blew out his candles. Then the kids ate cake and ice cream sandwiches and apple juice. 

 

After dinner, Kanyon opened the gifts that his friends brought for him. It was exciting for both him and his guests!


Then we gave all his friends their goodie bags, and all the winners of the games received bags of angry birds graham crackers. Then each of the kids played with the toys they just gifted Kanyon. I loved watching them play with the toys that they all brought! They were all so happy! Before I took them all home after the party ended, I took their group photo. What a great bunch of kids! Kanyon is lucky to have such nice friends.

That evening, we ate Kanyon's requested meal for dinner: pizza and applesauce and breadsticks. It was delicious!

Grandma and Grandpa T. and Uncle Tim & Barb joined us for dinner and dessert and gift-opening. Kanyon received a lot of great gifts, and his face was just beaming! It was a wonderful way to end his special day with family.

1 comment:

Franson Funny Farm said...

What a fun party! And I LOVE the cake!!! That is a great idea. You are so very creative. I so enjoy reading about all you do.