Sunday, January 13, 2013

creative carving

At our Family Home Evening on the Monday night prior to Halloween, we carved pumpkins together. The boys got to pick out their own pumpkins from the patch weeks earlier, and they were so happy to be able to finally carve them. Jonah and Micah picked beautiful big, orange pumpkins, Kanyon chose a spotted pumpkin, Ammon decided on a green bell-shaped one, and Josh & I both carved small ones that were leftover after the patch had closed.


Josh and I both bought some carving kits, and this was the first year that the boys have carved their own pumpkins, which made it even funner for them! I've always had them pick out faces, or draw a design on paper, and I've done all the cutting for them. I can't believe how much easier the little saws made cutting and carving the pumpkins! I wish I'd bought the carving kits long before now! Jonah and Micah chose some cool designs that were included in the kits, and got to work taping and cutting. Ammon designed his own deer head and then cut the pattern into his pumpkin. Kanyon chose his face pattern from the kit, and I cut it for him. 




The boys were so proud of themselves and their accomplishment in carving their own pumpkins! I just loved seeing them work so diligently on their individual pumpkins, and being so happy with what they'd done. It was a fun Family Home Evening!




 Josh and I each made smaller designs in our small pumpkins. I thought smaller pumpkins would be easier to work with, but they were more difficult. It was hard to get my hand inside to de-gunk it, and the cuts with the saw all had to be smaller. It was a challenge, but I think Josh's and my pumpkins turned out cute!

After everyone was done creating their jack-o-lanterns, we lined them all up lit all the candles inside them and turned the lights off. We all stood staring and admiring our work. I loved everyone's different designs! What a fun combination of carved pumpkins!

No comments: