Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Birthday in Boise

I treated Josh to a special birthday trip to Boise at the beginning of November. I had a spectacular day all planned out. We left Salmon on a Saturday morning, stopping in Stanley to drop off the youngest 3 boys at his cousin's (and babysitter's) house. We continued on and arrived in Boise in the afternoon. We did some shopping for a couple hours and checked in at our hotel, and then we went to the Boise Temple open house.  Our tour time was at 4:10, and we had planned to go there with our friend Amanda and her husband Steve. We met up with them at a parking place, and took a tour bus to the temple. 


When we got to the temple, we had to wait in a huge line, and had to go through a church across from the temple first to watch a video session. It took FOREVER. We waited an hour and a half in line before we could finally go inside the newly renovated temple. There was beautiful stained glass additions, and the baptismal font area was my favorite. 

But I admit that I like the marble blocks that were on the exterior of the temple better before they made the changes and renovations. The exterior of the temple appears so much more plain now. I loved the marble-ized effect that it used to have, and I don't know why they changed it to this more generic look.

After the temple tour, we went to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. I love that place, but Josh had never been there. I thought he would love it, too, but that ended up not being the case. He was irritated that we had to wait so long before being seated. I tried to make reservations so that we wouldn't have to wait, but they don't do that. So I bought extra cheesecake to make up for the wait!!


The best part of the day was scheduled for that night--I had purchased tickets for us to see a BSU football game! After dinner, we changed our clothes at the hotel and headed to the stadium.

Neither one of us had been to a BSU game before, and Josh had wanted to go to one for years. I'm so glad that it finally worked out for us to go! We arrived and made it up to our seats at the top of the stadium just moments before the game began at 8:30. We watched the marching band play on the field and then the football players came out. It was exhilerating to be in attendance!


It was fun to be there. But, unfortunately, they lost the game. That was hard to watch. It was such a rarity to see them lose on their home turf, and walking away with the crowds after the game, disappointment could definitely be felt in the air. 

My spectacularly planned day didn't turn out to be exactly how I imagined it: the line to get into the temple was too long, the wait to be seated for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory was frustrating, and the loss at the football game was upsetting. But, even despite the unexpected delays in our day, I was happy to be alone with Josh. I love spending time with that man. The next morning, we drove home to Salmon, stopping on the way again in Stanley to pick up our boys. A few days later, it was Josh's actual birthday. I made him homemade beef pot pie for dinner, a first for me and it worked out so good.

After dinner, he opened gifts from the boys. They had all chosen gifts for him, and then decorated their own gift bags with markers. It was fun to see their colorful decorations, and they were proud of their work!




They gave Josh some of his favorite food items: chocolates, kit-kats, jerky, and cracklin oat bran cereal. I love that Josh is always so easy to please! And he liked their unique wrapping, too!

I didn't make Josh his own birthday cheesecake this year, since I'd purchased extra cheesecake slices when we were at the Cheesecake Factory. He didn't even complain that he didn't get an entire cheesecake this year, like I usually make for him. I love that Josh is so easy to please!

What a man, what a man, what a man, what a mighty good man, yes he is! Happy Birthday, babe! I'm lucky to have you and I love you so much! You're an incredible husband and an amazing father and I am happy to grow old with you (especially since I know that you'll always be older than me!).

1 comment:

MikeS said...

Jeralynn hates the Cheesecake Factory too, expect for the actual cheesecake. We don't eat dinner there, just get the goods. Happy late birthday, Josh.