Sunday, December 16, 2012

5th day of Christmas

On the 5th day of Christmas: Decorations & Music

I store 6 boxes of Christmas decorations in the shed all year, and pull them out when we are ready to decorate the tree. I refuse to have more than 6 boxes for just Christmas stuff, so whenever I get new items, I have to get rid of older things or decorations I don't want, in order to fit everything into the same 6 boxes. The majority of all our Christmas items is decorations for the trees...

Box 1 contains the four 3' artifical trees that the kids decorate for their rooms.

Box 2 contains lights. There's different colored strings for all the different trees: white lights, blue lights, red lights, and multi-colored lights. There's also strings of white & purple lights for outside.

Box 3 contains ornaments & decorations for our tree. I have two sets (so that the tree doesn't look the same every year): a blue/silver set, and a red/gold set.

Box 4 contains ornaments for the kids' trees. The kids all have their own ornaments in their own separate containers--ones that they've made or have been given. Josh and I also have containers of our own ornaments from our youth in this box.  

Box 5 contains miscellaneous larger items: the door wreath, two larger glass blocks with Christmas vinyl lettering, the larger painted wood nativity, the large crocheted Santa & Mrs. Clause that my grandma made, the tree skirts, and a lit-up window decoration. 

Box 6, the final box, holds all the house decorations, including: multiple smaller nativity sets, Christmas books, stockings, advent calendars, and various Christmas figures.

On the day that we decorate the house and the tree, I play Christmas music on the CD player, and turn it up super loud so that everyone in the house can hear it. I don't let any TV's be on or other radios play music while we're decorating. I only listen to music from the 4 Christmas CD's I own; two of my favorites are: Celine Dion's "These are Special Times" Christmas album, and Michael McLean's "The Forgotten Carols". I love singing along with the songs on those albums as I'm decorating. It totally puts me in the mood for the Christmas season!

No comments: