Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Shorty

We got a puppy.

I don't like dogs, and I've always said we will NEVER get one.

But the kids wanted one, really bad. I think Josh did, too. So, I was outnumbered.

One day at school, a kindergartener brought a dog for show & tell. Kanyon cried and told the whole class it was because his mommy wouldn't let him have a dog. So Josh gave in and started looking for a puppy to mend Kanyon's broken heart.

Josh saw some pictures on facebook of puppies, and asked all the boys what they thought (because every time he showed me a picture, I said "NO", regardless of the dog). They all agreed on one that was a corgie/red heeler mix. It wouldn't grow up to be big, it's not a loud barker, it doesn't shed hair, and it could be an outside dog. They were all so excited and looked forward to the day we could get him!

Josh and I have never had a dog our entire marriage. This whole "puppy" thing was so new to us. In preparation, Josh found a doghouse from a friend in Salmon, we bought some dog food, a dog bed, a leash, a collar, and set up a little area for him on our deck. At the beginning of October, we picked up the puppy from an acquaintance in Salmon. When we brought him home, the boys were so happy to play with him.

We call him "Shorty". I came up with the name. He's kind of growing on me. He likes to be petted on the back, neck, and especially the tummy, so I oblige.

The most challenging part of having him for a dog is that he likes to chew. He chewed up his heating pad, dog bed, water containers, and he likes to chew people's legs, shoes, and gloves. But, we're working on teaching him not to!



The only other member of our family who doesn't like dogs as much as me is our cat, Sugar. And unlike me, her affections aren't growing towards him! She growls at him whenever he comes close to her, and she hates that he likes to eat her food. She doesn't come around a lot anymore--she stays down by Grandma's house to avoid him.

2 comments:

Trina said...

super jealous! I've been thinking of getting a dog lately as well.

darcymae said...

AW! He is cute! But I'm with you...NO DOGS!! Hopefully I can stick to it a little better than you did though. ;)